Solved

How do I bring in a signature image into a downstream Form Approval

• 28 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Using NWC, my initial Form captures signatures.  Later in the workflow, a manager needs to approve the Form and wants to see the signatures.  My approach was to save the image file to share point docs folder as a .png, then use the Image action in the subsequent Form to pick up the .png image using the url path.  I was using the Sharepoint Online - Store a file, but can't figure out how to set the file name to something like "signature.png" so I can point to that file.  They system saves the file with Variable name with a bunch of number and letters.  I can't point to a file with a changing file name.  How do I set the filename? or is there another way to do this?

This is the file name that is created:

sig_se_trainer_signature_copy_A8fHskNMkS-1603898129619.png

icon

Best answer by Russ_G 30 October 2020, 14:50

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Russ_G ,

Interesting question. I'm working on some NWC forms at the moment with signatures too so I was keen to see what we could do.

I can't see a way to do this natively with NWC on a task form.

@EuanGamble - any ideas or thoughts on below?)

The limitations are:

1) In the NWC task form, file variables from either the start form or the workflow are not available.

2) The output object from 'add attachment to an item' does not include the URL of the attachment, or the 'get attachment names' does not output the URLs either. So we cant get the URL  into a variable that can be set as the value on an image control.

3) Signature control works with a file variable but there is no way to specify an existing file variable and set the control to read only.

I think you may have better success on doing this in a Sharepoint workflow.

I found this post about extracting the URL of an attachment and saving into another list column

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Community-Blogs/Setting-Attachment-URL-to-a-column-of-the-same-list-item/ba-p/76884 

So you could start the workflow in NWC and create the sharepoint list item.

Then run a sharepoint workflow on item created to get the attachment URL into a column.

From here you could either run the approval component in Sharepoint or NWC and have a label control pointing at the URL of the attached image.

Cheers,

Gavin

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Russ_G Could you just send the signature as an attachment on the task notification email to the Manager?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@leighburke ,

apologies just to add in my 2 cents, I guess absolutely technically possible.

However, I don't think I'd like my signature in an image file kicking around in email.

Just too much of a risk for identity issues for me.

Badge +3

Thanks for the feedback. I discovered if you park an image on sharepoint in a doc library, not a list, a variable is created with the file index that can be picked up later an inserted in the Image control panel under URL as a variable and is rendered in a downstream form.  Your comments led me find a way.  Much appreciation.