How can we kick of NWC Form from SharePoint Online List New Item button

Badge +4

We are currently beginning our journey to migrate from SharePoint 2013 on-prem to Teams/SharePoint Online.  We have many custom forms that were developed in .net which we will be converting to Nintex Workflow Cloud as we are being advised as Microsoft may deprecate the workflow engine in SharePoint online. 

Our users are used to clicking the New button on the SharePoint list to create new entries.  How can we replicated that experience if we are creating the form and workflow in NWC?

23632iA7A351B3B354F261.png

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @tmfitz 

Refer to the solutions these links

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-Workflow-Cloud-Forum/How-to-associate-Nintex-workflow-cloud-Form-to-sharepoint-online/m-p/203597

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-Workflow-Cloud-Forum/NWC-Workflow-with-Start-Event-SharePoint-New-list-item-How-to/m-p/212440

Badge +4

@Garrett Thanks for your quick response.  I had read the first link already but does not solve my request.  Neither does the second.  

Current scenario:

1. User goes to SharePoint List on-prem.

2. Click on +new item link to creates new item. Form is customized by developer using .net.

3. Item is saved in list and relevant Nintex workflows start.

Future scenario desired:

1. User goes to SharePoint Online list.

2. Click New Item (shown in my screenshot).

3. NWC form opens and is designed to mimic what we had on-prem.

4. Item is save in list and relevant Nintex workflows start.

What are people doing in this scenario? Do I have to create a button on the page to open the NWC form?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @tmfitz 

Future scenario desired:

1. User goes to SharePoint Online list.

2. Click New Item

3. NWC form opens and is designed to mimic what we had on-prem.
    Your self developed .Net forms opens. User fills the form and click Submit.
    This will save the form Data into SPO as a new Item or update item.
    You will NOT be using the Form in NWC.

4. Item is save in list and relevant Nintex workflows (NWC) start.

5. The NWC Start Event is (Connector) SharePoint Online

Badge +4

We want to get away from custom .net form. We want to use NWC form. 

So I guess my question for the forum is, what are people doing?  Are they adding a button to the SharePoint online page to launch the NWC form?  

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

You could go with one of the following routes

• Develop the Form in NWC. Start Event is (Nintex) Form
    Note: This starts from a URL

• Develop the Form in Nintex O365. Start Event is (Connectors) SharePoint Online.
    Users click the New button in SPO

Badge +4

Thanks @Garrett 

Now that I'm thinking this through... What I'm wondering is how can we replace the OOB SharePoint Online form with a NWC.  I'm being directed by Nintex rep to be using NWC not the O365 WFs/Forms. 

I'm starting to get the sense that we will not be able to. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @tmfitz 

Your question isn't a technical question, is it?

"Re: How can we kick of NWC Form from SharePoint Online List New Item button"

Seems more like a open-ended Tactical Strategy question which can go many ways.
You and your team will probably need to explore a little to find the best fit for your organization 

Badge +3

We are in a similar situation but use Nintex 2013 Forms and Workflows.  We are able to migrate the existing forms and workflows from SharePoint 2013 to O365 using ShareGate migration software, and then we plan to migrate the workflows only to NWC.  I was not under the impression that the Forms integration with SharePoint lists in O365 could be replaced with forms in NWC, but I'm just starting to work on it, so will be interested to see if there are other options.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@tmfitz 

Hi I think the closest scenario would be to add Nintex Forms for O365 into your sharepoint online Site.

That will allow you to customise the sharepoint list with a new responsive nintex form for 'New Item' and 'Edit Item' views.

The Nintex forms for O365 are not going anywhere, it's just the nintex workflow for O365 that needs to be moved on from due to the underlying sharepoint workflow engine.

With a nintex form in O365 for the new item on the sharepoint list, then use a NWC workflow to run on the event of Item created in sharepoint online. (as per the other replies)

If you only have a simple data capture and create sharepoint list item requirement, then you can use NWC workflow based on New Form event. Create the NWC form for the user to capture the info, then use an action to create the item in the sharepoint list.

Badge

Hi @tmfitz 

Your question isn't a technical question, is it?

"Re: How can we kick of NWC Form from SharePoint Online List New Item button"

Seems more like a open-ended Tactical Strategy question which can go many ways.
You and your team will probably need to explore a little to find the best fit for your organization 

It is both.  This question has been asked and diverted more times than I can count.  It needs to be stated in plain English and transparently.  N365 forms are bound to the SharePoint list as custom forms.  When you create or update an item, you are doing it inside of SPO.  With NWC, as far as I can tell, you lose this ability.  You cannot bind an existing list item to a NWC form/task natively.  When you open an item to  display or edit it, it will open whatever is the active form in SPO - it will not open in NWC.  So you can collect data for initial entry in NWC, but then you have to build yet another interface inside of SharePoint Online to view or edit the item.  Double work.  

The closest workaround I could come up with is to create a custom view button using SPFx that launches the NWC form to create the initial item, and then use JSON view formatting to hide the native New button.  Then, for existing items, use JSON view formatting to create a line item button that launches the NWC form and passing in the item ID as a query string variable.  I haven’t tested this, but it would at minimum require a form variable that reads the query string variable, a data source that includes all of the fields from the list where the list item lives, and external data source variable that uses the data source connection, and a form rule that sets all of your designer objects to the external list variable item.  It’s a LOT to do for every project, if it would even work.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @clrowe1124 

Today, my answer would be to have User Training session on how to use NAC/NWC My Nintex.

Nintex University has added some new modules for My Nintex

That said, my organization users are resisting NAC/NWC and My Nintex. 
They prefer having the familiarity of SPO and Nintex O365 Forms. 
2-3 applications which were converted into NAC/NWC start forms - had to be reverted back to O365 Forms because of users’ complains.

The users just rely on SPO and O365 forms for Approvals status and updates. 
Our developers have to add frequent and timely status updates (through SPO Update List action).

Before a Task Assign - Status “Pending Approval from Manager X”
After a completed Task - Status “Manger X has approved Application ID-100”

This is still true. 

You and your team will probably need to explore a little to find the best fit for your organization