How do I delete old versions of a Nintex Workflow?

• 24 October 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I have two questions:

1. Is there any potential problems that can result from having too many published versions of a single workflow?
  2. How does one delete old versions of a workflow?

I have a moderately complex workflow in Nintex WF 2013 in development (exported workflow XML is 421kb) .  I have published 84 versions so far.  As I have published more versions, Nintex Workflow seems to be getting a unstable in various ways.  I have no idea if this is related to versions, but I figured it couldn't hurt to delete the first 60 - 70 versions.  I could not find anyway to do this.  Any ideas?

Tom Castiglia

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Your exported file size isn't too large, that shouldn't be your first concern. Here are some steps in managing published workflows and how to stop instances of old versions and remove them.

• Navigate to the list or library, that the workflow is to be unpublished from.
  • Select the Library tab on the Ribbon toolbar.
  • Click the Workflow Settings button, then select Workflow Settings from the menu options
  • A list of all published versions of the active workflows within the list or library with the number of
  • currently running workflows are displayed.
  • To remove one or more workflows from the 'Published' list, click on Remove a workflow.
  • In the Remove workflows page, select the Remove radio button to the right of the workflow title to

remove it.

Note: When removing a workflow, it is not removed from the system, only from the list of

workflows available to users (published workflows).

But one quick way that i've used in the past is to export the workflow, and import it into a new workflow and save it under another name, then publish. Then delete the previous workflow entirely.(make sure the new one is working first).

Badge +17

Andrew Glasser‌  I'm about to test this theory.  We'll see how this goes :-)

Badge +11

I recommend Andrew's solution.