deployment error caused by bad install?

• 4 August 2008
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Hi All

I'm not definite that this is an install issue but I belive it is.  Hopefully someone can confirm or not.

I have a client who has MOSS and K2 BP. It was install last week so should be the latest version.  They've built a very basic workflow using the K2 Designer in VS2005 but when the go to build and deploy it, they get an 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error. Also, they've noticed that K2 for Visio hasn't picked up the k2 elements.  The K2 Config manager claims it installed them but they're not showing.

Does this sound like an install problem or is it something they are doing/not doing? Unfortunately I've not had access to the environment and am just providing help remotely so I don't have that much more info. If you think it's an install issue I can get them to do a full re-install though if you believe it's user error, I will probably go to the client and try myself I just wanted to get another opinon beforehand to save wasting anyones time.

Thanks
P

9 replies

Badge +9

1.  "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error at deployment

Can you provide any more details on this error?  Does it happen during the build (before the K2 dialog comes up) or during the actual deployment?  If you run the MSBUILD package manually (from the command line, see KB 188 for more details on this), you can get a lot more details about what is happening.

2.  K2 components in Visio

I'd recommend looking at KB 254 (http://kb.k2workflow.com/Articles/KB000254.aspx).  The patch contained here should most likely correct this issue.

Badge +3

Thanks Bob.  Have passed your queries and KB articles on to the customer and will update when I hear from them.

Thanks again
P

Badge +9

Coincidentally there was a video released today on a similar topic n the "How to K2..." series.   You can find it here:

http://www.k2underground.com/files/folders/howtok2/entry25321.aspx

Badge +6

Hi,

Since this Post talks about deployment errors, i'm facing some problems with deployment.

The following error is generated, knowing that i'm working on a virtual machine provided by K2. 

Task Error: System.Exception: Forms Generation publishing has failed: Please ensure that if you are deploying this project that you are not attempting to do so on client. Deployment package needs to be created and run on the server in order to publish forms correctly. - System.Exception: There was a problem publishing the generated forms. Please add the generated project to the solution and ensure there are no build errors. Also ensure you have Microsoft Web Deployment Projects addon installed for Visual studio as this could also be a reason for a failed deployment.

All Servers are being configured. 

I just would like to know where can i check if the Microsoft Deployment project is installed.

I think it is installed since on this machine there are an already working WorkFlow, but with sharepoint and i want to let my workflow work independently from shaprepoint.

Regards,

GMK

Badge +9
First thing to check would be if you installed the MS Web Project deployment add-on.  You can see it under "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel.  It is called "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Web Deployment Projects".  Also note that there is a limitation of this MS component in deploying to remote web servers.  If your web server is remote, you probably need to create a deployment package and run the msbuild deployment from the web server locally.
Badge +6

Hi,

Web Deployment Project is already installed on the virtual machine, this machine has been provided by K2 Team.

Don't know what should i do to solve the Forms publishing issue.

Thanks

Badge +6

Hi, Does Such error have any relation with the licensing issues ????

I think the Virtual machine licence  is exprired. 

Does it generates such error ????

Badge +6

The License was updated, and we are trying to deploy an existing project on the Machine, the new error generated is :

Error    11    The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

Please is there any workoround about this error???

Badge +9
Out of curiosity.  Which VPC is this?