Solved

Form based tasks - default outcome?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If I recall correctly, you could set a default outcome on Form based tasks; I'm pretty sure I've done this with past WFs.
Indeed, on the settings for a Form based task today, under Escalation you can still set a Form based task to 'Complete task with default outcome' after a specified time (minutes, hours, days, etc), but I suspect this is a bug. There is no more default outcome, and the task will never complete without user action.

icon

Best answer by kate 16 May 2022, 07:46

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hey @Bards 

There is an option for Autocomplete within the "Assign a task to multiple users" which is form based (see below) as well as the Express approval option for the "Assign a task" action. However, this is not available for the action "Assign a task" and Form based is selected.  

Selecting the default outcome is towards the bottom of the action configuration for the "Assign a task to multiple users" action. The default outcome for the "Assign a task" action is just below the outcomes.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Yes, thanks for the update. I discovered this too, after my post and have put this in place.

I do see this as a workaround however, and suspect the absence of the option on the 'Assign a task' > form based WF action as a bug. If seems unusual that you would include auto-complete as an option on multi-user tasks but not on single user. Even if this is intentional, on the 'Assign a task' > form based action under Escalation > Calculate date the Unit of time field includes the label 'Complete task with default outcome' - despite there being no place to set that default.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hey @Bards 

After playing around with it, I was able to get the same thing you captured in your screenshot.

If you have the task set as:

• Express Approval

• enable Escalation using "Calculate date"

• set it to Autocomplete

• Switch task type to Form Based

Now when you scroll down, the text that states "Complete task with default outcome" remains.

This is more than likely something that should be hidden as it does not apply, but may be added in the future. 

Thanks for pointing it out!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Bards,

As Jesse has confirmed, that description only appears when switching from Express approval to Forms based. This is a bug, and that description should be hidden. Assign a task/Forms based does not support Auto-complete. 

Assign a task to multiple users 

Assign a task is the older version of our tasks action. The newer, Assign a task to multiple users action, supports 1 or many assignees, with "First response" in the output to offer quick access to the single user's response (without needing Loop for each). Assign a task to multiple users has also been the primary action for the latest enhancements and new features, e.g. 1 or many assignees, completion rules (majority or percentage of a response wins, first response wins, etc), Express approval or Forms or both, etc.

Without knowing the full requirements for your scenario, Assign a task to multiple users should be the better action for you. So long as you have Outcomes emabled, you can configure both Forms and auto-complete (with a default outcome), and First response will capture the response from your assignee.

Unfortunately, as the 2 task actions are dramatically different in their capabilities, action design and output values, there is no way to convert an Assign a task action to an Assign a task to multiple users action; You'll have to move your configuration over manually.

Hope this helps!