Beginner Javascript and Nintex Forms

• 15 September 2017
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

All,

Where can I learn about javascript  and then how and where it all fits into my nintex forms?

I'm a total beginner with javascript. I've got some code - which hopefully will do a job for me, but don't know where it's meant to go, is it complete, how it is meant to run, how it could be expanded.

I notice many forum posts refer to javascript, yet it's as if you're already meant to know how it works, and what goes where.

Thanks

Andrew

16 replies

Badge +9

You can start JS learning from here JavaScript Tutorial.

'Nintex Forms' can run 'JavaScript' code directly without any JS reference files (unlike html pages) for all JavaScript basic operations.

You can add your JS code in 'Settings' page.

207626_pastedImage_1.png

In 'Settings' page there is a 'Custom JavaScript' tab will be there, you can put all your code here.

207630_pastedImage_4.png

All the best..Start your JS coding.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

it's as if you're already meant to know how it works, and what goes where

you're moreless right, but note that javascript is independent of nintex. nintex just utilises it, just like eg. HTML.

in fact, javascript is more about browsers capabilities then about nintex itself. nintex (fortunately) just provides a way you can include your custom javascript into forms to extend its functionality, but the code is run by browser not by nintex.

You can find plenty of resources on javascript learning, either online or paid courses.

however, I'm not aware of one that would focus on javascript+nintex. but I'm quite sure, once you get familiar with javascript, you will quickly understand how to integrate it with nintex.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks, all, I'll have to start learing and playing.

Just a little tricky when I need to use it now sad.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

A pretty decent place to start learning JS

https://www.codecademy.com/learn

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks or the above. Yet here's the thing:

If Nintex forms can run javascript

What is NWF$ ?

When do I need to add this or not.

See my challenge?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks, I've used codeacademy in the past. I've got over the basics of JS with them, yet I think I need to revisit it, almost in 1 sitting. I was a bit here an there when I first went over it. Maybe I'll take a look at at Lynda.com.  Like them too or udemy

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

NWF$ is how you reference a control in a Nintex form. Under each control you'll find the following settings in "Advanced"

You can name your control as a variable which you can then reference in your Javascript.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Agree, it's definitely worthwhile revisiting and then applying the learning straight away. If you don't use it, you'll lose it...the knowledge that is!

Badge +6

NWF$ is an alias for jQuery library for the most part. You can refer to documentation at docs.jquery.com.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi ‌, if there's a particular comment that resolved your question or pointed you in the right direction, then please it as so. Or if you have more questions on this subject please ask so we can try to fully answer them for you.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi ‌,

What functionality are you wanting to build in JavaScript that Nintex Forms cannot supply out of the box? 

Cheers,

Euan

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi ‌,

This is where the fun starts,

On the same form I'm having to filter a dropdown control based on a separate calculated value - done.

The bigger/harder issue is, The form has data on it which I'm trying to send and interact with a 3rd party api.

The first part of the api interaction is I need to request a token, part of the request url string has to contain an md5 hashed value - this can't be done out of the box.

I've been able to at least knock on the door and get a value - still to work out how to capture and hold it for the next piece.

Once I receive and capture the token value, I need to take that value and then send an another request with form data to the api.

If that's possible I then need to figure out a way of having an attachment control within a repeating section. but need the api interaction to work first.

Thanks

Andrew

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi Andrew Wilkie‌,

Ive got a lot of questions reading your post above. Might be good to get on a call and understand the requirements a little more.

Send me an email at euan.gamble@nintex.com so we can arrange a call.

Cheers,

Euan

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks ‌.

I've sent you an email with my details.

Andrew

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi ‌,

Thanks for taking my call today. Your feedback is really appreciated and helps us build better products.

Good luck with your form, it certainly sounds like good solution.

Cheers,

Euan

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Guys,

For a simple example of JavaScript, please refer to:

https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-6783-simple-javascript-concepts-in-nintex-form

Regards,

Reva Eka Patria