Dynamic Lookup Value to be Shown in Form

• 7 April 2021
  • 3 replies

This is what I am trying to accomplish:

• Each user will receive a link to a published Nintex form.  The form acts as a purchase order.
  • Each link will include a unique, obfuscated URL parameter, like:  "Code=AG13AS", which will be available to the form as a variable.
  • Each code corresponds to several values stored in a separate data source (like a SharePoint list).  For example, the code might represent commercial terms that are unique to that user, which can be retrieved based on the code.  The data source has these columns:  Code, Price, NumberOfUsers, Duration.
  • I want to show in the form that the user completes the terms from the data source, so the user knows what they are agreeing to purchase.  Each term would be stored as a variable with read-only access.  I also want those variables available for the entire workflow, such as to save elsewhere, include in a generated document, etc.

Is there a way to take a URL parameter for a form and perform a data lookup which then populates several other form variables?  I was hoping to use the Data Lookup feature, that but appears only to populate a choice field and there does not seem to be a way to limit what is returned based on a variable (like Code) in the form.

I could perform the lookup AFTER the form is submitted, but I need the lookup information to be shown in the form.

3 replies

Apologize for an error in the post above. It IS possible to limit what is returned by the data lookup to the value of a variable (Code, in this case).

The problem is that in the choice field that is created, which in this case would have a single option based on a condition to only return the record associated with the Code, the option is not yet selected. I can populate other variables based on the value of a SELECTED option (for example, by making the value a concatenation of price, NumberOfUsers and Duration and then parsing that value into 3 separate variables). But I have no way to automatically select the one option. The user would need to do that, but I don't want to make the user do that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@msalamon currently there isn't a native way to accomplish this, but this does sound like a perfect use case for some updates that we are working on around data sources and variables. As we progress with this work would you be okay with us reaching out to you to validate some feature ideas?

Definitely!