Solved

Document Generation with Empty Signatures

• 7 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

I've got a workflow that asks for signatures from various approvers. Depending on the initial form, some signatures are needed and some are not. When I get to the Document generation at the end, if I include all the signature image variables in the Document Generation task I get an error if any if the signatures are empty (because they were not necessary but can be left blank in the end document). What is a good workaround?

icon

Best answer by Sven 9 August 2022, 08:38

View original

4 replies

If you are using MS Word for your template, it has functions to help you with the display of conditional items.  A conditional item could be a table containing your image.

Applying IF Conditional Formula in Word - Microsoft Community

Here is a previous community post that gives an example:

Create/Gen a Document that only displays specific ... - Nintex Community

Badge +3
The error occurs before NWC looks at the word template. It goes to look for 8 images from various task forms in the workflow and when it finds that they are empty it errors out.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @AutomationPerso , 

yes there could be a possible workarround, you could add a condition if the signature is empty, and add a placeholder image (blank, of course) as a file/image variable.

If you like, can you sent us an export key, then we can have a look 🙂

cheers

Sven

Badge +3
I ended up pulling a placeholder image from a Drive action then storing all of the signature images into a file variable. It's cumbersome since all the form signatures need to go into a collection, then from a collection into a file variable, but it seems to work.