Solved

Capture form data (NWC) but not in SharePoint

• 30 April 2020
  • 3 replies

I have a NWC form and need to capture the data that users enter. Using SharePoint is NOT an option. Can I collect the NWC form data in an excel file? If yes, can you advise how to do this. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Gavin-Adams 30 April 2020, 06:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Sorry I cant see a way to do this with Excel.

I'm assuming you are thinking that for each form submitted (ie workflow instance) that a row is added to the spreadsheet.

You would have options of storing the spreadsheet file in Sharepoint, Onedrive, Box, Google Drive, Dropbox, however the bigger issue is being able to crack open the spreadsheet find the next available row and add to it. No real method for that unforetunately.

I don't think a document generation solution will work in this scenario either.

Sharepoint lists are the easiest to use to do this however I know you said that is not an option.

Other thoughts are:

- use SQL actions to insert to a database table. (SQL on premise or in Azure, or MySQL)

- call a web service to some custom thing you have developed or a cloud service that stores rows of information.

Thanks for the quick reply.  We do have SharePoint but it is currently in our DEV environment and unlikely to be rolled out anytime soon.  Attempting to link to the DEV environment is interesting as it needs to be in an incognito window.  I will keep trying!

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@gdownes not sure if you're still looking for a solution, but wanted to circle back on this and let you know that NWC does now have Google Sheets support out of the box and we're working on implementing a native Excel action shortly.