Backup planning

• 26 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

I need to ask what other businesses have put in place to prevent loss of NWC workflows in the event something is deleted in error. I am also looking at Nintex for Office 365 as we have some in this platform too.

My original plan was simply to export forms, workflows into JSON files and store them somewhere but I wanted to ask if anyone has a better solution. 

Thanks,

Paul

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Unfortunately we do not have a plan right now. But it is something that can definitely happen. We are migrating our SharePoint 2013 sites to SharePoint online, and one of our farm admins misread a communication about a site that had already been migrated.

He deleted the SharePoint site with the Nintex workflow and deleted it from the recycle bin instead of skipping the site for migration. I had to set the workflow up again. Fortunately it was fresh in memory and wasn't something very complex.

I guess one thing you might not want to do would be to save copies of the workflows to the same site where the workflow runs. Otherwise, like in my case above, the backup will do you no good.

You will also need to be very diligent about exporting a backup every time a change is made. Otherwise you could restore a copy that is not the most recent one, and that could cause problems for you as well.

There is this thread about deploying workflows through Azure Devops: Automatic deployments using Azure DevOps - Nintex Community. However, there is no response if this is a feasible option.

Badge +4

Thanks David,

This was along the lines of what I was planning to do, and you're right about the change control elements of it too!

Cheers,

Paul