Solved

Assign a task, but to no one person in particular (?)

• 17 August 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

So here's my conundrum. I'm trying to design a lost-and-found form that allows a user to enter data about a lost item, which then writes over to a list in SharePoint Online. When the lost item is disposed of (returned to its owner, thrown away, etc.), the SPO list item needs to be updated with the new information about when and how the lost item was taken care of.

That seems simple enough. Seems like a form > Create item in SPO > Assign a task > Update item in SPO. But the problem is that there is no one specific to whom the task should be assigned. Any employee in the given location can potentially be the one to update the information, just as any employee can be the one to enter the original information. And we have approximately 30 locations for which this is the case. I don't want to assign the task to multiple parties because, of course, that type of task requires specific users to be named - an administrative nightmare in this case. (And you can assign only up to 10 parties, which wouldn't be enough in most cases here.)

So what I need is a way for a user in a location to access the form and enter and submit the information, which then writes over to SPO. Then, at a later date (could be the same day, could be up to 60 days later), anyone else in the location needs a way to enter information that will update the same line item in SPO. Presumably they need a way to see the original information so that they know they are updating the correct item.

The previous forms software we used did this easily, because it allowed users to return to literally the same form and update information. But the closest thing in NWC is to assign a task and create a new form that contains the original information.

Any ideas on how I might accomplish this?

icon

Best answer by DavidAD 18 August 2021, 19:03

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Not an ideal solution if you require authentication, but you could assign the task to a group email but not require Assignee authentication, that way anyone with the link to the task could complete it. You could also use the NWC "Get a Task" action to get the link to the task from the workflow and email that out to all parties, or put the link in whatever you're using to track the process so that it could be used by anyone.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks, @bsikes. I think I've found a solution that's actually pretty simple. On my form I've added a Choice - Single field on which the user must indicate if he/she is logging a new item or returning to update an existing one. Based on that selection, one of two groups will appear, with fields to complete. If the user is returning to update an item, a Data Lookup field will present the outstanding items for his/her location (which he/she selects at the top of the form). These items are listed by their description but the actual value of the selection is a unique identifier (the instance ID) that was added when the item was initially logged. I've created a variable in the form to store this piece of data.

So when the workflow moves next to update the SPO list, the Update items function is based on two conditions: the branch and identifier matching what's in the SPO list. The unique identifier is probably sufficient, but I added the branch anyway lol.

Anyway, I know you may not be particularly interested in all this detail, but I'm including it in case anyone else might be developing a workflow with a similar pattern.