Printing an Email PDF

• 14 January 2021
  • 6 replies

I am needing to take the emails that we have and print the entire email to PDF. I do not see this action. We are wanting to open the email and print the email itself not and then save it to a file. Can anyone help on this?

6 replies

We may be going about it incorrectly, but we're opening the document we want to make into a pdf, use control + p to bring up the printer dialog box, hit the appropriate keys to select the pdf printer (we're using Foxit Phantom PDF Printer).  Then we're specifying the file path/name based on an imported spreadsheet, and "print" the file.  We told the pdf printer to not open the document after printing.  Then we just loop to the next document that needs printed, etc.

Hope this makes sense....and helps.

the problem we are facing is once we "get" email there is no way to simply print it to PDF. or even just save it for that matter. Any suggestions?

Got it.  Yeah, we haven't made any attempts to use RPA to receive emails, so I can't help you out with that process.

I tried to do this same action on a webpage and sometimes it'd respond correctly and other times the CTRL + P wouldn't bring up the print option.  Did you ever have that as an issue?  Can you share the error handling you used?  Thank you!!

You could try using Google Chrome instead of IE to see if it behaves differently.  I've had mixed results, but I believe they just released a newer version of the plugin....not to mention 17.0.3 for RPA.

If sending control +p isn't even bringing up the printer dialog box all the time, then I'd open a case.  If it's bringing it up, but it's hiding in the background, maybe try the action to bring that window to the front.

I played around with Chrome this morning and found that there's different hotkeys to use within Chrome for doing a print screen which weren't as successful as IE. I decided to try a hybrid approach and am pulling the website up in IE, getting the print screen then opening Chrome to get the data. I updated the rules in IE to ignore a lot of the criteria which also is helping. It's a hybrid approach but so far it's working.

I'll run more iterations and to see if I run into the printer dialog box issue. I had before but that was when I didn't update any of the rules so I'm hopeful that the updates I made fixed the issue. Thank you for your suggestions!!