Solved

Password generation using specific application requirements

• 21 August 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

I know that Foxtrot has the ability to generate a password and update the credentials.  The issue I have run into is what if the emulator I'm using has strict rules on the password.  Example, only certain characters can be used, #$%*, and the max length is 10 characters.  Yes, I could use an excel document with pre-filled out passwords and tell it to go down the line, but that is not secure.  Has anyone run into an issue with this, and if so how did you program to get around it?  Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle

icon

Best answer by mbalslow 24 August 2019, 01:04

View original

2 replies

Hi Kyle,

I think you could solve this in a few different ways. I think the most straightforward way for you would be to:

- Use the preferred randomly generated token by Foxtrot to generate a password (which might be more than 10 characters and with undesired characters like the mentioned ones)

- Now, first, use a "Remove" formula with this formula functionality where you can select to remove all special characters. If there are any special characters that you might actually want to keep in case they are part of the randomly generated token, you can specify this as well in the formula. You can check out our guide for more details: https://support.foxtrotalliance.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003306925

- Lastly, you can use the "Left" formula to make sure to only use the first 10 characters, making sure that your password is no longer than 10 characters.

This should ultimately make sure that you have a fully randomly generated value that only contains the characters that you "accept" and is not longer than the maximum number of characters allowed.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Regards, 

Mathias Balsløw

Foxtrot Alliance

Badge +4
Thanks Mathias.