Automate linking people to roles

• 26 November 2019
  • 5 replies

We have a large organisation with many staff changes, how can we automate the allocation of people to roles, or do this via a report upload on a regular basis to ensure roles are always current?

5 replies

If you are a Promaster in Promapp you are able to do a bulk upload of user and role lists. To do this navigate to either the User or Roles section, select the cog icon at the top right hand corner and select the import option. This will then give you an excel spreadsheet which can be populated and uploaded into Promapp. For more information on how to do this please have a look at our help documents for ‘Manage Users’ and ‘Manage Roles and Responsibilities’ 

There are also a number of ideas around how this this could be improved on User Voice. I encourage you to review and vote on these ideas or even suggest your own. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@NessL wrote:

If you are a Promaster in Promapp you are able to do a bulk upload of user and role lists. To do this navigate to either the User or Roles section, select the cog icon at the top right hand corner and select the import option. This will then give you an excel spreadsheet which can be populated and uploaded into Promapp.

We use the import function to create new users and assign them a role (including auto creation of their role if it doesn't already existin in Promapp). To our knowledge the method outlined above cannot be used to *change* a users role; it will add an additional role but not remove a role already assigned to their user account.

I'd love to be wrong so please let me know if that's the case. It will save me a large amount of time manually updating existing user accounts assigned roles.

Thanks for the replies, have you tried this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/saas-apps/promapp-provisioning-tutorial#setup-promapp-for-provisioning

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
oh that looks interesting. I'll have to talk to ICT to see if this is possible in our org.
Thanks!

I am rather late responding but only just found this post. I agree with all other comments it is a manual and laborious process.

1. Get employees establishment information from the data warehouse

2. Clean data to match the Promapp import template (time taken would depen on hour this information looks when you get it, ours is a mess of data)

3. Add to template and Import

Anyone who is acting in a role will now have their new role and old role. You wont know which is their current role without referring to your original import. Gets messy unless you are happy to leave them with two roles. If you arent then:

1. Export (from Promapp) to csv all Users 

2. Identify those with two roles 

3. Investigate what is the correct role 

4. Delete the incorrect role

Again this is rather simplistic because in our organisation we also have responsibilities and what I call group roles (e.g. HSS Directors - so that I dont have to list every Director in a swimlane) along with the individual role.

Some of what I do is scripted in VB - like data cleansing but the Promapp part is manual steps