Solved

PROMAPP FLOW EXCEPTION CAPTURING

• 28 March 2022
  • 8 replies

I am in the middle of a POC for a customer committed to purchase Promapp. But the customer wants to know if Promapp can branch back and have a rework, like we have it on visio. 

I wasn't able to do that as most Promapp flow that I saw online were done in a straightforward format. 

I will be glad if an answer can be provided. 

icon

Best answer by Noala 29 March 2022, 03:48

View original

8 replies

Yes, there are several ways this can be accomplished, including with inputs/outputs, process links, or conditional process links depending on the scenario.

@JCervantes Find attached the screenshot of the process.

What I am trying to do is for the Activity 4, to go back to Activity 3 if the Approving role is not okay with the Appraisal done.

I want the arrow to go back to the 3rd activity, just like we have it in Visio Swimlane process representation.

@Haywhy21 You will not be able to add an arrow looping back to Activity 3 from Activity 4 as you have it represented in Visio. This is by design to simplify the presentation of processes in Promapp to be accessible to non-documentation experts and easily understandable at-a-glance.

For your solution, there are a few options available. I recommend one of the following options:

1. Adding a note at the end of Activity 4 (What if the pre-appraisal report is not approved? The Project Officer must revise the pre-appraisal report and resubmit it per Activity 3.) In this scenario, you can also update the title of Activity 5 to something like "If Pre-appraisal Report Approved, Perform Loan Application".

2. As your process shows more than 10 activities, you could alternately break this into two processes with Activities 1-4 being the first process and 5-12 as the second. Then you can add the second process as a conditional process link after Activity 4. At the end of Activity 4 you can then add a task or note which specifies the condition which must be met in order to proceed to the rest of the process, i.e., "If the pre-appraisal report is approved, proceed to [Name of Conditional Process]. Otherwise, repeat Activity 3."

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Promapp purposely doesn't allow you to loop back as that generally indicates and exception to the process (ie something has gone wrong and rework is required).

One of the main principles applied in creating process maps in Promapp is to simplify the process and to map the flow of the process that occurs 80% of the time; to not clutter up/obscure that view by including all of the possible exceptions and variations.

There are two articles in the Promapp blog detailing how to reflect exceptions in Promapp that I've found helpful:

Managing-process-exceptions-in-Promapp
Decision diamonds

(not a Nintex employee, just a big fan of the principle of simplifying the way process flows are expressed.)

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
It's not possible.
Its recommended to use notes to handle variation and possibly link the process to the note response.
I have seen some processes where the output can be the input, for example an annual review process will use its output each time the process runs.
Thank you Eddie
Thank you Noala
Thank you