Solved

How to update Global Process Owner for a process variation?

• 18 February 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

I have a parent process, which has three process-specific variations. I want to update the Global Process Owner to a process variation as the process has been transitioned to a different team.

I have already updated the correct name in the Process Template (standard version of the process) and re-published the process. It did not work. It only updated the Process Template and the process variation still reflects the name of the previously updated Global Process Owner.

I understand that when a process variation is created it automatically takes the Global Process Owner and Global Process Expert from the Template Process. Not sure why it is not updated after updating it in the Process Template.

Can someone help address this issue and let me know how to update the Global Process Owner for a process variation?

@Nintex_Sam It would be a great help if you can provide your input on this.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Penny 28 March 2022, 23:58

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@pwavikar - I don't have an answer for you right now (at the company where I was a Promaster, we didn't use variations), but I've reached out to other Promapp experts on this side of things to get you one.  As soon as I hear back, I'll update this post.

-Sam

Badge +3
Hi Sam,
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your reply.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@pwavikar - here's the message I received back from other Promapp experts:

You can't update the owner and expert on a variation after it it has been varied.

• The following fields cannot be updated from a variations summary section, they are inherited directly from the standard process:

• Global Process Owner

• Process Group

• Additional Process Groups

• Display Type

Thanks to @RBrito for the help!
Badge +3

Thank you for your help and quick turnaround @Nintex_Sam and @RBrito.

In a nutshell, you are saying if a process variation is updated based on the standard process (process template), we can't update the Global Process Owner.

Yes, I agree (and have already read it in the help document) that variation is based on the standard process and it inherits Global Process Owner and Expert from it. And so you can't update it from the variation itself.

However, I still feel that there should be some way or provision to update the Global Process Owner for the variation.

What if the Global Process Owner is not handling the process variation anymore or left the organization?

As a Promaster, if I am updating the Global Process Owner in the standard version of the process (process template), it should reflect on all the variations that the process has.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@pwavikar - Let me research more on this end and get back to you. 

-Sam

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Without having done any testing - I believe if you republish the variation, it will bring over the updated Global Process owner. To have nearly any change reflected, it requires a republish.

I would create a test scenario to try this - or if you are ok wiht this process, republish one of the variations with the change noted, global process owner updated.

Userlevel 1
I agree, there needs to be a way of easily updating. If not in the process, can you view the user details and transfer ownership from there?
Badge +6

Hi @pwavikar,

I cannot tell you how much I agree with your thoughts here!!! Unfortunately being unable to update the global owner for a process with variations is an issue I have encountered a number of times before - often I find it updates the standard and not the variations.

If the issue is that you have updated the standard process with a new global owner and it has not been reflected in the variations I would be logging this with Support.

@Lauren_R & others,

If you have the situation where the Global Owner on the standard is different to the Global Owner on the variation write into support@nintex.com.  We have a tool we can use to fix these issues with the Global Owner (standard and variations should match - however sometimes this gets out of sync, if a user is disabled or other reasons).  The support team should be able to resolve this fairly quickly for you.