Solved

How to map actions performed prior to conditional transfer to another process.

• 28 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi.

What is the recommended way to map the following common scenario.

In the course of performing a process, a condition is identified that requires a transfer to another process, but some action(s) need to be performed first. 

For example an assessor is processing an application but realises it should be handled by a different department following a different process.  Before handing it over, the assessor needs to assign the case to the new department in the system and notify the customer.

One way to do this is with a decision that links to an activity with relevant tasks.  A link to the other process can be specified in the outputs.  However, this doesn't show the linked process on the map and there appears to be no way to identify what outputs are produced at this exit point from the process rather than others.

Alternatively a decision point that links directly to the other process could be used, but there appears to be no way to record the actions that need to be performed prior to the transfer, even as notes.

Using two decision boxes with the same stated condition, the first linked to the preparatory activity and the second to the other process, shows all the necessary information, but looks messy.

Another option appears to be having an activity containing the pre-transfer tasks, followed by a conditional process.  However, on the map there is no indication that there is a condition involved let alone what the criterion is.

A better way to represent the process would be to have the decision based activity (with pre-transfer tasks) followed by (and linked to) the conditional process.  But that is not allowed.

Am I missing something or are there any other suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Noala 19 August 2021, 03:01

View original

4 replies

I should have mentioned another option, which is to use a decision with attached activity detailing the pre-transfer tasks.  Then add a Note to the activity with a link to the other process.

This has the advantage of simplicity in the map and although the name of the linked process isn't immediately visible on the map if you click the activity and the click on the Note it displays a link to the process.

Not ideal but this might be the best option I've come across.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

The first decision you need to make is how often does this situation occur; is it part of the normal process (happens 50 - 100% of the time) or is it an exception (happens less often than 50% of the time).

I would only use a decision for this if it's something that happens very frequently ie is a normal part of the process. As to how to document those actions that need to occur before the next process starts, I'd be inclined to include them in the activity just before the decision point, in which you  explain what the decision is about (and to re-assign the case and advise the customer).

If it doesn't happen often then it's obviously an exception, and in my org we would include it in a note with a link to the follow-on process under the note. In the note you would include the tasks of re-assigning the case and advising the customer.

Yes this then doesn't appear on the process map; this is in line with my org's adoption of the Promapp mapping principle that the map view shows the normal (80% of the time) process (rather than every single thing that could potentially occur).

Thanks Noala.  This particular situation isn't an exception, so I'll try your suggestion.

I must say I seem to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to model common business scenarios in a meaningful way.

Badge +3

Hi Stuart,

Please check if this works for you:

1. You can create an activity that says: Determine if the process should be handled by a different department

2. You can then add the following tasks in this activity:
a. If yes, do the following: Assign the case to the new department, notify the customer, and then refer to the linked conditional process.

b. If not, proceed with activity XX to continue with the process.

3. After this activity, add a conditional process link (in the Dependencies section, you can specify the arrow direction, that is an incoming arrow, an outgoing arrow, or to and fro).

4. Continue with the normal process activities, when there is no need to assign the case to a new department.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.