Solved

How to copy a variation to a standalone process

I have a standard process with process variations. The variations have expanded to the point where the variations need to now be a separate process. What is the most efficient way to capture the standard with the variations as a separate unique process?  

When you copy the standard process, the variations are not copied. 

Thank you. 

icon

Best answer by MattHSpears 24 May 2022, 18:00

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@NGPinDurham - When viewing each variation, you can select the “copy process” option from the gear icon in the upper right corner. This will create a copy of each variation in its current state and store that copy as a unique process titled “Copy of [process name].”

You then need to decouple the existing variations from the standard:

If you are using process specific variations, simply view each variation and select “archive process” option from the gear icon in the upper right corner. This will leave you with the standard as its own, stand-alone process.

If you are using global variations, you will have to export the published standard to XML (same gear icon in the upper right corner), archive the standard and all associated variations, and then import the XML file of the standard. Note that this will erase all history of the process as the XML file will be imported as a v0.1.

@MattHSpears Thank you outlining these detail steps.  Seems logical. I'll give this a try and circle back with the results soon. 

@MattHSpears I have a question that may be an apprentice one but just need to confirm.  As the variations I need to address are Global, I'm planning to follow the guidelines you presented below. My question is around the timing of when the Standard and all associated variations are archived. Can that be done after importing the XML file of the standard if you plan to give the new process a name other than Standard ? "OR" must the new standard created from the import be named "Standard" by default; therefore, you would need to archive the existing "Standard" before the import.  Any thoughts are appreciated!

"f you are using global variations, you will have to export the published standard to XML (same gear icon in the upper right corner), archive the standard and all associated variations, and then import the XML file of the standard. "

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @NGPinDurham - you can archive the old processes after you import the XML file. The name of the imported process will simply be the name of the exported process, minus the word "standard."

@MattHSpears.....the end game is two distant processes with unique names. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@NGPinDurham Yes, you can edit the name of the imported process to make it unique.

@MattHSpears Thank you.