Export Promapp XML and then re-import it to Promapp

• 1 November 2022
  • 4 replies

I know we can export a Promapp process to XML.

We can also import processes (eg iGrafx XML).

But it appears that we cannot import an XML file that was exported from Promapp?

Scenario: We want to develop a next iteration of an existing process, but as a stand-alone new process first. Then somehow incorporate the newly developed process to replace the existing process. I have not found an existing method within Promapp to do this, so was trying the XML export and import work-around, but that led me to a dead end. But surely Promapp can import an XML file that was exported from Promapp in the first place?

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Pieter,

When exporting and importing using the Process Manager (Promapp) XML format, this needs to be done at the group level for it to support the functionality. Here is what the menu option looks like from the group level:

Based on what you have described as your use case, you could use the "Copy Process" function to limit the action to the process in question (instead of duplicating the group and all the processes below it). Below is an illustration of where to find the "Copy Process" command:

If you would like to move the process until it is ready, once it is copied you can navigate to the "Manage Groups" function under the Admin menu and move the process to a more appropriate location.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Thanks for the explanation. So I wouldn't be able to import into or over an existing process, which I was hoping to do. Thanks anyway!
Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Pieter,

There is another option that you could explore, which is to use the "Copy Process" action, amend the process as you see fit in the copied process, then export the procedure text from the copied process and import it into the original process.

This will only update the procedure text (and as a result the process map), so any changes to other elements e.g. process links, attachments, etc. would need to be done after the updated procedure text has been imported. Would this work for your requirement?

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Thanks Mark. Yes, I am aware of that option. But I am concerned that 'losing' those other elements would create more work again and potential risk of introducing manual error.
Thanks again for your quick responses.