Disable item menu on “Folders”

• 6 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I published a workflow where a user starts it manually from the item menu. Just wondering how to disable item menu on “Folder”? it would be great if someone can help me on this.

Thank you very much

Regards,

Jay

210405_pastedImage_3.png

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Jayesh,

when hitting the Enable workflow to start from the item menu action, Nintex basically adds a custom action definition to the context list or library. Custom actions can be viewed or modified by using SharePoint Designer.

All content types (in your case the content types folder and element) share the same custom actions so without some deeper dive you won't be able to hide the option items of content type folder.

However some people seem to have got it managed like here: sharepoint designer - List item menu's custom action on content type (only SPD2010) - SharePoint Stack Exchange 

It's intended for SharePoint 2010 but as the machanism is still the same it should work in 2013 and above too.

Basically you need to decide how much effort you want to put in hiding the option or what the problem could be if a user hits the workflow from a folder. If it's more a technical issue than a comfort feature I'd check for folder content type in the workflow itself and end the workflow in that case to prevent the workflow from running on folder items. Would that be an option?

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +1

Hi Enrico,

Thank you very much for helping me out. Below option worked well.

I'd check for folder content type in the workflow itself and end the workflow in that case to prevent the workflow from running on folder items

Regards,

Jayesh