Workflow Item Reference not updating with Smart Object

• 11 December 2015
  • 7 replies

Badge +8

I have a workflow that has outcome rules based on controls withing the view. I added new columns to the database and updated the smart object and the service instance. I then added then saw the new fields appear in the form so I added them. However, when I update the workflow outcome rules I do not see the new items in the item reference. How do I refresh the workflow's view of the smart object to include new items when a smart object is updated?

Thanks

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hello,

Have you tried right clicking on the category that contains the smart object and clicking the refresh option? Do this in the designer for the workflow. It's possible the workflow is still pulling the old smartobject in and does not realize a change has been made.

Evan

Badge +8

Thanks for the reply!

Yes. I have refreshed the smart object and the service instance. I can see the new fields in the view. However, I am unable to refresh the smart object from workflow designer. It seems like workflow designer only sees the old smart object configuration. If I create a new smart object the workflow will see the changes just fine. It would seem like a lot of work to create a new smart object every time you need to add some fields to a form and update a workflow. There has to be a way to make the workflow see the updated smart object.

Some things I have tried....

Deleting the smart object from the item reference in workflow designer and adding it back.

Refreshing the smart object and service instance

making a change to the form and the view and checking in a new version with the updated smart object.

I checked the controls in the form to make sure they were pointed to the field in the smart object.

Removing the smart object from the view and adding it back

I have restarted Blackpearl server

I created a new test workflow using the same smart object and recieved the same results.

I do not see anywhere to refresh a smart object in workflow designer.

Badge +1

Hi,

I can say that I'm facing the same issue.

When adding a new field in a SmartObject, one can add it to the views and forms without problems.

But when editing a worflow that uses this form (also for new workflows) the wizard of the step "Update SmartObject" do not show the new field. Instead in other steps the contet browser do see it.

Is there some update to be done somwhere?

Thanks. Carles

Badge +3
Any suggestions on this matter? This as just completly broken my application, kinda of a very serious matter in my view
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi,

As far as I know, K2 will not update the context of the smartobject in a workflow wizards and this is by design but we have logged a feature enhancement for this.

the workaround I am aware of is : remove the step where the smartobject is used and reconfigure it again.

Badge +8

Hello all,

Wow this is an old post! I wish I remembered how I resolved this issue. I know I ran into several issues like this when I first started trying to figure out K2. Some things I always do now to prevent this issue. The first is after I refresh a service instance I will find the SmartObject and I will right click on it and choose view XML. I then copy the GUID from the Object details that appear in the right side of the SmartObject Tester.

Then I scroll back up to the service instance and find the instance from the smartobject. I right click on it and choose to create smartobject. In the box that appears I removed the guid and replace it with the guid of the current smartobject. I then click the publish smartobject option at the top of the box/window.

The next thing I do is go back to all of the workflow rules in my form and remap the item reference and the serial number where the serial number is required. I make sure all of the items are mapped in the reference and everything works.

Again I do not remember how I resolved this particular issue but since making sure I take these steps every single time I add something to a table in the DB I have never had a similar issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Bryan Peters

Badge +1

I had this same issue and was finally able to get the SO reference to update.  I'm using 4.7, these were the steps...

1. Go to site contents for the sharepoint site.
  2. Choose the K2 for SharePoint app
  3. Click "Smart Objects" under the Artifacts section on the configuration page

My smart object was showing under the "Lists" section and had the proper permissions under scope.  Even though that was the case, I re-added the same smart object under the "Additional" section.

1. Click the add button under "Additional"
  2. Browse to your smart object under the SharePoint 2013/[site]/[listname] category and click OK
  3. Click OK again at the bottom of the Manage Smart Objects configuration page to ensure the change was applied.

After the steps above, the workflow designer picked up on the properties and all was good.  Please note: when re-adding the Smart Object, it still shows under the "Lists" category on the configuration page (looking like nothing happened).  Just ignore and click OK anyway.