Updating Environment Variable using SmartObjects

• 31 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi All 

I am working on a project where we have a requirement to let the User update the Environment Variables. I wanted to check if anyone has tried or know of any SmartObject which can be used to update the Environment Variables ?

5 replies

Badge +10

If possible I would recommend a different approach.  Typically environmental variables should normally only be used to store environment wide configuration information.  Not process specific information.   For process variables I would recommend storing them in your application database (create an applications settings table) or else you could create a smartobject based on the K2 smartbox.  Then you can simply allow them to update through a smartobject based on that table or smartbox which is easy to do.

Hi SwetaAgarwal,

The Environment Library will contain nodes for each environment that has been defined in the current K2 environment, and from here you can configure the environment's variables and security.

Please see link here

Kind Regards
Luyanda

Please Note: K2 will not accept any liability for any issues arising from actions taken in respect of the information provided by any forum member.

Hi Tim 

Thanks for the your response. I agree with you that the best thing to do would be save the configuration details in the DB, however I joined the project midway and the application is currently using Environment Variable in many places. We want to change it to DB but doing so would require a lot of regression testing. As it is a critical application and a lot of priority work being done we don't want to do it just now. Can you please suggest if you know of any way of updating the Environment Variable from Smart Forms ? 

Hi SwetaAgarwal,

To update your SmartObject you would need to edit the SMO then add the variables, once done click finish. Edit Item View and insert the variables (rows).

Please see image below:

On the List View you would drag and drop the varible once you see the blue line shown on the image below:

Kind Regards

Luyanda

Please Note: K2 will not accept any liability for any issues arising from actions taken in respect of the information provided by any forum member.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi swetaAgarwal,

I have to agree with timkn on this. The concept of environment variables is a bit tricky and I would highly recommend the approach that timkn mentioned. The environment variable should only be managed by admin user as this can have affects across multiple workflows. Let’s say, I have an environment variable (i.e. url_for_SharePoint_site) and this is used in more than one workflows as a hyperlink for email event. Next, I decide to update this environment variable to meet the requirement of one workflow. This change will effect multiple workflows and if it's not well documented, then it will create more confusions later.  

Please see links below for more information.

Environment Library  

https://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2blackpearl/icg/4.7/default.htm#configure/ws_envlib.htm

The K2 blackpearl Environment Library

http://help.k2.com/environmentlibrary_whitepaper.aspx