How to update a list item from another list item - xsite collection

• 3 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

HI all,

Would like to see if anyone a suggestion on how I should approach the following.

I am using SharePoint 2013, Nintex Forms & Workflow 2013

I have a nintex form - which is set up as a content type and is published to many sites on a site collection.

When the form is completed - a site collection reusable workflow pushes data from the site where form has been completed to a calendar on another site collection.  This all works beautifully.

This is where I am stuck tho.

If an item is updated on the calendar, I want selected fields  from the calendar to update the original form data on the site it came from.

If I use the action "update multiple items" how can I get it to update the correct site with the form updates?

The option with this action  is to first enter the URL of Site to update as the first field and the "list" as a separate field.

Is anyone aware of an action or a combination of actions where I can put the destination site/list  in one field so the workflow knows which site/list to update?

If you need more information or I am not clear enough with my process - please let me know.

Thank you.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

and what's the problem with defining site and list as two separate entities?

why would you want/need it to define together?

Badge +2

Hello Marian,

I'm sorry but I do not understand your comments?

Once a form (which is a content type and is used on multiple sites) is completed on a specific site, the data is pushed to another site collection and an entry is created in a calendar with information pushed from that form. 

If the entry on the calendar is updated, I want the revised date info to flow back to the original form. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'm sorry, I missed a word 'problem' in my question above....

I do understand your requirement but I wonder why 'update multiple items' action design with two separate fields - one for site and second for a list on that referred site doesn't fit to your needs. why would you need to define site+list together as a single filed...

Badge +2

The reason the action is not appropriate is because the list destination to be updated could be one many possible sites.  The Site URL needs to be able to change dynamically depending on where the initial form was created.  IE.  I have about 100 project sites - all have a library for this form within them.  The user completes the form within a specific site and then the info is pushed to a single calendar on a different site collection.  If the entry in the calendar is updated - I need the updated data to pass back to the site where the form was initiated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

if only site URL changes, but list name is always the same, that shouldn't be a problem - you can prepare site URL into a variable and then refer the site wit the variable in action configuration.

if list name varies as well you will need to make direct web service call to perform updates on source list(s)

221885_pastedImage_1.png