Solved

Succeeding Slots Rule; Specific fields to use in wizard

• 17 November 2015
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

I have an IPC event that spawns many child workflows to a list of people using the destination slot data.  If the spawned tasks are not completed in 3 days, I use an escalation rule to GoTo an activity (within child workflow) that ends the child and routes the Workflow back to the Parent.

I need the parent to wait till all child workflows are completed or the escalation rule kicks in and they all come back.

I've read many things on using All Slots Results = complete, declined, etc, but I'm faced with a wizard for the succeeding rules and I can't figure out what to put in it.

Questions:

1. The child workflows that are escalated to close them - what is the slot status?

2. How do I configure the wizard below in the succeeding rule to wait for all to be done?

The second screen shot below is what I have set up now and it ends the workflow because I assume it doesn't meet the criteria.

11165i3631E13D30A96654.jpg

icon

Best answer by Jamie 20 November 2015, 20:03

View original

4 replies

Hello,

This is a little bit different than what you were thinking, but would it work to have a data field in the Child Workflow called Status. This would default to Unfinished or something. Once the child workflow finished, change the Status data field to Completed. You could then pass this up to the parent workflow to place it in the Succeeding Rule wizard.  Then only let the parent workflow move on if the Status is set to Completed.

For your second question, simply use the Data Field mentioned above to check if the Data Field equals Completed. Then the activity will fire off.

First Variable: Status Data Field

Logical Function

Second Variable: Completed

Mark

Badge +4

Thanks for the quick feedback!  I failed to include a piece of information in the original post:  The slots are dynamic - it could be 4 could be 17.  Can the field be created dynamically?

Badge +4

I was able to create a dynamic solution for this issue.

Here's what I did:

1. Created a process variable called SMESlots and populated it, using a DataEvent, with the Activity Instance: Slots

2. Created a process variable called NumberOfSMECompleted initial value = 0

3. I added an event right after the IPC Event that added 1 to the NumberOfSMECompleted each time it was executed.

4. I set the succeeding rule to the NumberOfSMECompleted = SMESlots

It works great!

Badge +3

I followed the solution noted by  @MTMTNT and it worked great. Very simple and effective.