SMTP Mail not being sent on v4.7 server using "Send an Email" action

• 30 January 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Anyone know how to fix this...

On my new Prod server (4.7), i'm using SMTP mail on some forms to send an EMAIL ACTION from the Smartform Rules.

Connection Strings etc are all setup fine and copied exactly like the one of my old Prod Server (4.6.11)

If I enter the ServiceAccount in the From field, the email will get sent fine to recipient, but if i enter a different FROM address then it just sits in the ServiceAccounts DRAFTS folder and does not get sent.

On my v4.6.11 server it has always worked fine, i am able to enter any FROM email address and it sends the email.

Been stuck on this for a week and checked firewall, AD account settings, exchange settings, you name it i've tried it....

Anyone got any ideas?

9 replies

Badge +2

I ran into this as well.  I had to add another connection string for SMTP for the new FROM account in the Connection String Editor.  On the first screen, I just entered the email address of the new FROM account.  Then, once added, all of the settings were set the same as they were for our original SMTP connection that was set up for the service account.  Then restart the K2 service.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

I see what you did, but does that mean i would need to create a new entry for each new From Address in the ConnectionString editor?

I have forms which i use SMTP send email via smrtform rules which have different FROM email addresses in there.

On my v4.6.11 i didn;t have to do this, it just works having one entrry in the connectionstring editor for the Serviceaccount. I am then able to enter any FROM address in SMTP mail sent from the Sent Email actions on the forms and they get delivered.

I need to know why it doesn't work for the new v4.7 server using its own serviceaccount.

Could it be some kind of setting of the ServiceAccount? Could it be something on the new server that isn't configured?

I know SMTP is working because if i send SMTP mail with the ServiceAccount in the FROM address it works, any other address.... it just dumps the e-mail in Serviceaccount DRAFTS folder.

Any other avenues you guys can suggest?

Badge +3

We are having the same issue. Did anyone find a cause or resolution?

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi Js2,

I got a solution eventually from K2

Firstly, the reason this no longer works is that K2 admitted that they removed this functionality entirely from v4.7 to make things more secure. This means that instead of this just working out of the box for everyone, they expect K2 users to now use Exchange permissions to set security. What K2 didn't bank on was the fact that if you have a mixed mode setup, such as Exchange Online and Exchange Cloud (office 265), K2 v4.7 will not work.

In the end, K2 provided a fix which gives the same functionality SMTP wise as pre-v4.7 and this is now working fine in our environment. (kudos to the k2 devs)

Be warned though, this is still verty scary, any future K2 update or Fix Pack could break this email functionality again, so having a test environment is a must !!!!

Good luck, I'm glad you brought this up, I question why K2 removed this functionality in the first place, so the more people who are in a similar boat, might nudge one of the moderators on here to take note and feedback concerns.

All the bets

Badge +3

Hi Sharpharp1,

Thank you for responding so quickly! What fix are you referencing in your response (name or version)?

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi,

I'm using K2 v4.7, the codefix is 735749.

Good luck

Badge +6

Sharpharp1,

What was your ticket number?  I'm working through this issue with support right now and this information could be helpful.

Brandon

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi,

Surely you just need to tell them you want codefix 735749 for this issue?

If not, let me know and i'm PM you the ticket no.

Hey was this issue intermittent?

I am facing somewhat similar kind of issue where Mail is not picking the values present in 'To' field for a particular user.