Rule to check if the contents of a text box is NOT numeric?

• 8 February 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi,

Is it possible to do this with an advanced rule on the form?

form validation doesn't seem to work on a list view, a data field has a pattern (Whole numbers), but if a user enters a alaphanumeric and clicks submits, it allows the user to submit, but you get k2 type error boxes.

Is it possible to say that when the user clicks submit, use a rule to check textbox contents to see if its is NOT Numbers, if so, then stop?

1 reply

Badge +9

You can validate on a list, why can't you do it?  You just validate before updating the list.  If it's an editable list this would be on the add/edit line.  In other words, before adding or updating the list, check if the field on the add/edit row passes validation.  Then you can use the "alphanumeric" validation pattern.

But to answer your question, you can't do it in advanced condition as-is, as far as I can think of.  You'd have to do the check before.

So if this were me, I'd make a hidden checkbox "Is TextBox Alphanumeric", then create an expression for it using a regular expression.  You can just copy & paste the one from the alphanumeric validation pattern.

Then on the submit button you add a rule to check if the checkbox is true or false.  If it's true, submit the form.  Else, return an error message.