Infopath Client Activity

• 3 September 2009
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I have a Blackpearl process which is integrated with an Infopath form hosted on a Sharepoint Site. Ideally a user would submit a request by opening a new form on the sharepoint library (the form template is saved by infopath integration process) and this should start the workflow and also save the form under the same library. Later an approver would open the saved form on Sharepoint site and choose an action (approve/reject) and submit the form again.I have a Infopath client activity to send the task to a destination user (the approver) and depending upon user action the workflow proceeds. 

This solution already exists is K2 2003 and I am trying to replicate the solution in Blackpearl.

However I am having the following issues/doubts:

1. The form is not getting saved on the sharepoint site after it is submitted. According to me the Infopath client event should save the form in the form library automatically. Am I correct? If not how is the form being saved in the same form library in case of k2 2003 solution.

2. If the form doesnt get saved by the Infopath Cient Event, then how will a user view the details entered in the Infopath form, before he performs a task (approve/reject)?

3. If I use a Document Event to explicity the form to Sharepoint site, it woud be saved as a Document in the Document library. However I want it to be saved as a form in the form library. Am i going totally wrong? 

6 replies

Badge +8

The behaviour of InfoPath client events has changed a bit between 2003 and blackpearl. In BP, the actual form will only get created when the Worklist Item is opened the first time. 

The easiest solution to your problem would be to just get the users to open items from Worklist directly (use the SPS Web Part if in SPS or default on in Workspace). 

Badge +1
If I do not want the user to open the worklist item from SP Web Part or Workspace, what would be the other solution? Sharepoint Document event?
Userlevel 1
Badge +8

I don't think the document event will work for you because you are going to need a serial number as well. You could always create a list that shows available task items. You could use a List Item Event in your process before each InfoPath CLient event to create a new list entry that people could then click a link to open the IP form. I wrote a blog entry on how to create InfoPath Task URLs here: http://www.k2underground.com/blogs/fromthebench/archive/2009/08/10/how-to-create-infopath-task-url.aspx

Keep in mind that you would need to create new list items before the InfoPath Client Event and then clean them up after the client event. Ideally, these two new list item events would be placed in the same activity before and after the InfoPath client event.

Badge +1

As suggested by dc, I enabled the K2 Web Part and added K2 Worklist to my SP site. However, I don't see any Worklsit items in the Web Part although i see Worklsit items assigned to me in K2 Workspace. 

Could anyone suggest what could have possibly gone wrong?

I have already tried the following things after going through the forum for this problem:

1. All data fields have "Data on Demand" checked.

2. The user has some worklists assigned to him.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Double check the settings for the web part to make sure it is pointing to your K2 server.

Also, you can stop the K2 service and open it in console mode from the Programs Menu (be sure to do a "run as" to run it as the proper service account), once in console mode, go to the page in your SP site where you placed the worklist and keep an eye on the console and see what credentials are being passed across to the K2 server from the web part. This is always a good first step in trouble shooting. 

Badge +5

Check your SP site login credentials. This could happen when you migrate to a domain. You might have logged on as a domain user unlike last time. K2 worlist webpart is always dedicated to an exaact logged in user session.

Ex:

userxyz (senario 1)

domainuserxyz (senario 2)

Gud Luck.