Reminder based on dates in a list

Badge +1

Dear community,

I'm looking for a way to set reminders based on dates in a list. Until now i build a workflow, where i get one email, if one of the EndDate is passed, but i want to give out every line of the list, that passed the Date. Is there a way to realise that?

Thank you very much!

10 replies

Badge +8

Hi,

try setting up a site workflow, which gets items from your list with passed end-dates.

1. Query List - Where End Date is less than today - Return ID
  2. For Each ID
    1. Query your list again, pulling the neccessary fields by ID
    2. Pass all the info i  a multi-line variable using build string
  3. Send notification containing the multi-line variable

The workflow can then run as needed, I guess in your case daily

Badge +16

I would create a view which meets this criteria.  I would then have a site workflow that queries the list and returns all the "Created By" for items which meet this criteria into a collection variable.  I would do a collection operation to remove duplicates.  I would then email all users in the collection by using the collection in an email and point them to the view (i.e. you have expired items)

Badge +1

Hi! First of all: Thank you for your reply!

I'm not a native english speaker and i have problems to understand : 

1. Query your list again, pulling the neccessary fields by ID (what means pulling the necessary fields?)
  2. Pass all the info i  a multi-line variable using build string 

Is it possible, that you visualize that for me? That would be great!

Badge +8

Hi @EdVonSchleck,

because in the step before you just received the information for ID, you may want to have other fields of an item (for example Title, Created By, ...)

8018i48B89225E5DD9DEB.png

You do this by querying the list again but filter by ID (see screenshot) then you can "pull the necessary fields".

Using Build String, you can concatenate the information on necessary fields to send only 1 notification.

The Workflow would look something like this (I haven´t configured any of the actions):

8019i60D04158056DD4D5.png

Variables:
col_IDs - Contains the IDs from first query List

str_ID - for use as variable in ForEach Loop

str_Title - to get Info from the second query list (you´d need one for each column to retrieve)

multi_MailContent - contains all the information you got from the forEach Loop

Badge +1

How did you configurate each loop? I'll try it today and I'll hope I finally work it out. 

Badge +8

Hi @EdVonSchleck,

Target Collection is "col_IDs"
Store result in is "str_ID"

Badge +1
I did it. Now my notification sends me the number of open tasks and the ids of them. do i need a new list query for every additional column? in the end i want a data set like this: ID: xxx Name: xxx etc...
Badge +8

Hi @EdVonSchleck,

you can access all the columns you need in a single query list.

Just add the columns below and create variables for them.

Badge +1

Hey Tarf,

If i use a string variable in the second query i got a result like this:

ID-1, ID-2 , ID-3 , ... , ID-x

title 1

but i want the title of every id. so i used a collection and somehow it works.

Now i want to create a data set. Instead of the arrangement above i want something like.

ID-1 , title 1

ID-2, title 2

is this possible?

Badge +8

Hi @EdVonSchleck,

if you are receiving more than 1 result per iteration, there is something wrong with your filter.

You should receive only 1 result per field requested when filtering using ID == your_variable

The idea is that you receive a set of information

ID-1
Title-1
OtherField-1

and then use the build string action to build for example a table of all the elements you queried.

Edit:

You can set up a table using html markup in build string:

THE_MULTI_LINE_VARIABLE <tr><td>YOUR_ID_VAR</td><td>YOUR_TITLE_VAR</td><td>YOUR_OTHER_VARS</td></tr>

Store the result in "THE_MULTI_LINE_VARIABLE"

After the foreach, place another build string

<table> <tr><th>ID</th><th>Title</th><th>OTHER</th></tr> THE_MULTI_LINE_VARIABLE </table>

store again in THE_MULTI_LINE_VARIABLE

When you now send a mail containing the variable, you should receive a table