Worklfow deployment error (Reporting SO Service: Timeout expired.)

• 20 June 2013
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I did several deployment of workflow in our production server previously, but just recently I encountered the error below. I checked the versions of my workflow and I noticed that a new version has been added although the deployment has an error.

"SmartObject Server Exception: Could not publish SmartObject Definition to server: Error refreshing Service Instance 'WorkflowReportingService'. Service returned :'Workflow Reporting SO Service: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

I don't have any way to verify if the deployment that I made is successful or not unless our users trigger the workflow, since I don't encounter this when I deploy the workflow in the development and uat servers.

Right now I don't have any idea what could be the cause of this error and how to resolve this.

2 replies

Badge +10

I'm wondering if its trying to create the workflow reporting smartobjects (which is turned on by default but optional) and it failed, maybe SSRS or IIS wasn't warmed up so it timed out.  I suspect if you try to deploy it again you will not get that error.

Badge +1

Thanks Tim for the response. I have tried your suggestion, first I have restarted the IIS and the K2 service prior to the deployment of the workflow and make sure that everything is up but I still received the same error. This workflow that I am trying to deploy is an existing workflow in our production. There are just some minor changes that I did and now I need to update the workflow with these changes.

Another thing that I've tried, is to refresh the Workflow Reporting Service from the SmartObject tester.And it took a while before the service was refreshed. I suspect that this is related to the error that I received during the deployment of the workflow. Can you me give an idea on how does Workflow Reporting Service work or if possible the probable cause of the timeout.