Making a Slow loading form look deceptively quicker...

• 8 January 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help with this little idea i want to implement.

So i'm doing a form that uses autocomplete about 3 times, so the form does 3x lots of Autocomplete POPULATE actions in the Initializing Rule.

When the form loads, The user will think "Hey dude/dudette, what's that spinny wheel thing goes on there" while the form loads.... it takes about *personal details removed* seconds.

So i've put in a Label to say the form is loading in the Initializing Rule, and then remove the Label in the Initialized rule.

Now, what i have in mind is some kind of Countdown timer, is it possible to gauge the load time and have a Countdown timer (like you get when K2 service is restarted and the forms take a while to load, k2 have that countdown timer) on the Initializing Rule? It's just that i find that it will give the users something to look at and distract them while the form loads up.

My other question is, the three populate rules all pull data from the same smartobject, so is there any way of links 3 Autocomplete controls to one Populate Rule?

Thanks,

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Can you use the LiveSearch option for the Autocomplete? LiveSearch doesn't load any data at initialize (you have to manually remove the load data action) but does a web service call as you type. You can specify a minimum length before it starts searching and the delay after the last keystroke before the search. This works well with the exception that if you use anything other than the primary key from the SmO the control is bound to, it can get out of sync. For instance, if your autocomplete is just using the ID field of the SmO it will work fine, but if you needed another field, such as Name. It appears that it works correctly for the first few lookups but then I've seen it get out of sync and the Name returned may not match the ID.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

I'm displaying 3 fields from AD as part of the lookup, i've tried most combos of populate/live search, all are poor and K2 confirmed that there was nothing they could do either, other than put it down as a future feature request....

I accept that it's dog slow, but just wondering if there is a way to have a countdown timer (like u get when the form is warming up after a k2 service restart) on the form?