K2 Black Point and ASP.NET SOAP web service

• 25 February 2012
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I just started a new job and they have K2 BlackPoint.  I have used Nintex for a few years so I am familiar with this type of tool.  But I have a question.  I have a need to create a new ASP.NET web service (SOAP based) and need to understand if BlackPoint can consume the web service and execute the methods from a workflow within SharePoint.  The web service will be surfacing employee data, so the output will be custom objects that are rendered something like this:

<Employee>

<EmpId>1234</EmpId>

<FirstName>Joe</FirstName>

</Employee>

So my method would be something like "GetEmployeeData" and would pass a string parameter like employeeID and then I'd like K2 to return the various attributes of the Employee node so I can write them to variables and use them in the workflow logic.  Doable?   Nintex does this out of the box, so I'm hoping BlackPoint does it as well, as I do not have access to Nintex anymore.

Thanks

4 replies

Badge +10

Try looking through this blog. I thnk it addresses your quesiton

http://www.k2underground.com/blogs/blackpointtipsandtricks/archive/2009/04/01/using-the-reference-event-wizard.aspx

Badge +9

The blog mentioned by Chris will help. You mentioned its
employee data you need to surface, I would like to know where employee data is
stored? K2 SmartObjects makes lob data integration really easy so let me know and
I will make sure I help you with the right info.

Badge +1

It's in our HR system which is in Sybase.  I do not have access to BlackPearl, only BlackPoint. 

So am I correct that BlackPoint can handle consuming the web service without having to resort to a custom assembly?  Somewhere in this blog I remember reading that there was some kind of limitation with BlackPoint and the consuming of web services. 

Badge +9

This will work out of the box, I created a web service with the following method:

public string HelloWorld()

{

XmlDocument xDoc = new XmlDocument();

string xml = "<Employee><EmpId>1234</EmpId><FirstName>Joe</FirstName></Employee>";

xDoc.LoadXml(xml);

return xDoc.OuterXml;

}

In my process I created a XML based process field, as part of creating the field I specific an initial value for the field so that the designer knows what the field will look like in runtime just to make configuration of the rest of the workflow easier.  Use the Code Reference event to configure the web service call and assign the return to the XML field created, now you are set to make use of the employee data in your workflow.

Let me know if you have questions.