K2 Migration Scenarios

Hello K2 Community -

We looking to better understand from a best practice which migration path we should take when moving from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016. The following has been discussed internally. Our concern is that we may loose K2 configuration when the incremental migration is performed on the SharePoint 2016 site collection.

1. Create a new site collection in SP2016
  2. Migrate SP2010 site collection content
  3. Add/configure K2 Designer for SharePoint app in the SP2016 site collection
  4. Configure new K2 workflows and forms in the SP2016 site collection
  5. Export K2 solution from the SP2016 site collection
  6. Lock SP2010 site collection
  7. Run incremental migration of newer SP2010 site collection content to SP2016 site collection
  8. Re-add/configure K2 Designer for SharePoint app in the SP2016 site collection
  9. Import K2 solution into SP2016 site collection

What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance for your time.

Brian

3 replies

Badge +5

Hi brian_Schott.

What I can suggest is that if the migration went through successfully according to the steps you have written above, K2 has a feature called “K2 Blackpearl Setup Manager” wherein you can re-configure the whole setup without doing the clean installation of K2. The other exciting part of this is that when you launch it, it has allowance to re-configure it whilst there previous settings are still displayed as you go through the re-configuration. So if somehow this migration may negatively affect K2 configuration, you can use this feature to play around your configurations.

Hello Abraham -

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is appreciated. That said while the information on the "setp manager" is of value (thank you), I am not really sure how that relates to my question. The question is more related to K2 migrations that are a part of SharePoint migrations and the imipact to existing K2 processes that have been created with K2 Designer for SharePoint. Thanks again for your time.

Brian

Badge +5

Hi Brian_Schott.

The best practice of migrating from SP 2010 to SP 2016 at this point isn’t documented or formally published by K2, however K2 has made a significant effort in documenting the best practice for migrating from SP 2010 to SP 2013. I would suggest you try to use SP 2010 to SP 2013 K2 migration walkthrough or use it to help you gauge the possibility of it going through successfully based on what you have discussed in you organisation.

Please browse to the following URL http://help.k2.com/kb001380 to access K2 guide for SP 2010 to SP 2013 migration walkthrough, you can as well relate as to how was the same problem, but different versions was resolved previously. http://community.k2.com/t5/K2-blackpearl/Migration-from-SharePoint-2010-to-2013/ta-p/80458

this is the info. I can provide to help right now, anytime I may come across something positive regarding this issue I will provide the info.
Hope you ll find this useful.