Max number of activities or events in a process?

• 5 March 2008
  • 2 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

I'm designing a K2 process in K2 studio and it now haves around 15 activities (8 of them are infopath client events) and about 40 events dispersed on those activites.

I'm not familiar on how complex such a process is from K2 perspective, but it surely takes a long time to deploy (more than 10min) and sometimes it even fails on deploy giving transaction timeouts on Host server log file.

Is there any maximum number of activities of events for a K2 process (or any other restriction of this nature)? Is this 15 activities and 40 events "normal"?

Taking the activities and events, is it better to have more activities with less events inside each one or should we have less activities and have more events together on the same activity? Is there any issue regarding this or is just a design thing on k2 studio?

thanks.

2 replies

Badge +7

Wow 40 activities in one process! ... our customers want us to make our processes more similar, 20 is too much for them!

We've had a K2 consultant come to visit us and he recommended that if you process is going to contain lots of activities, it's best for development and debugging purposes to separate them out into different processes using the Inter Process Communication (IPC) wizards. I forget what he said exactly but my dev team stick to the priciple of 15-20 activites is a limit for one process.

Perhaps someone from SourceCode would like to comment on this for a more official line

Martin

Badge +5

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply.

In attach i sent a jpg with a screen shot of one of our processes.

If this is too many activities / events to have in one process than we will have huge problems because we have more processes to implement and this one actually seems to be the simplest one.

Just one remark, i don't have 40 activities, i have around 15. The number of events is in fact rounding 40 dispersed on those activities as you can see on the diagram.

Definitely it would be important to have an official feedback on this!

Thanks

15255i3B92B96552397452.jpg