Extra Actions in InfoPath form

• 26 August 2009
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +2

I am trying to create a simple workflow tied to an InfoPath form. The form is filled out and sent back and forth between three people. I integrated the form with my process and then added some InfoPath client events. Person A fills the form out and sends it to Person B. Person B adds some comments and then sends it back to Person A. Then Person A sends the form to Person C. But I am having some problems.

I have one action configured for each InfoPath client event. The first InfoPath client event has an action "Send to Person A." This is working perfectly. The action drop-down displays the "Send to Person A" action. The second InfoPath client event has one action configured -  "Send to Person C." But when Person A opens the form the second time, the action drop-down has both "Send to Person A" and "Send to Person C" to choose from. I want the action drop-down to only contain "Send to Person C." What am I doing wrong? I tried using separate views for each instance that Person A opens the form, but it didn't fix the problem.

2 replies

Badge +10

Basically whats happening is the selected action is bound to the specified action xml field in the InfoPath client activity.  When the user selects that action the result is copied to the specified xml field and not erased when that field is reused for the same client event.

There are a couple ways of handling this but I would probably just add a rule in the form open that sets the specifiied xml action field to be blank.  This would erase previous "Send to Person A" results from the form.  Of course the audit trail would still show the history of what happened.

You could also do this in the workflow using a data manipulation event to set the action xml field node to be blank just before the InfoPath client event.

I hope this helps.

Tim 

Badge +2
That makes perfect sense. Thank you!