How K2 Escalation works

• 5 October 2017
  • 5 replies

Hi Team,

I am trying to set escalation for specific date. Like I have date varaible for which I am setting the date after one action and I have my escalation setup on this date variable. but the escalation does not work as expected.

I want to expire the task if current date match with date variable.

Note: I am setting date variable value as "12/31/2017" by default so that task should not expire before this date. Again in workflow I am setting the date variable value to specific date. The workflow escalation does not work on the date specified in date variable.

For Ex. I have set the default value for "Expiry Date" variable as 12/31/2017 and using this date variable in workflow for esclation with "Escalate On" as  "Expiry Date" value.

I am setting the "Expiry Date" variable value as "10/5/2017" after one action in workflow. So can escalation rule fire on "10/5/2017" ? as the "Expiry Date" variable value is "10/5/2017" now.

I have tested this scenario, but didnt worked. Is this the bug or am I doing wrong?

Any Information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Prafull

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

1.  I believe 'Escalations' exists on three levels: Process, Activity, Event; on which level is this configured?  Please attach some screenshot if possible.

2.   An Escalation is scheduled when the escalation code executes and will run when that date/time is reached; if Activity Level escalation, then it will follow the following sequence:

1. Preceding Rule

2. Start Rule

3. Escalation Rule (escalation action will only fire of the activity is not completed by the time the escalation time has elapsed)

4. Destination Rule

5. Activity Actions and Outcomes

6. Events (in the same sequence in which they appear in the process design) – wait for events to complete

7. Succeeding Rule

8. Lines

http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2blackpearl/DevRef/4.7/default.htm#Important_Notes.html?Highlight=sequence

3.  As such if you are setting this data field in a data transfer event within the same activity, then the escalation would have already been planned with the default date before it is set to 10/5/2017.  If this is the case, the setting of this data field should be in a separate activity before the activity with the client event.

If this information is not applicable, please attach some screenshots of how you have it currently implemented.

Hi Tin,

Thanks for the reply.

Please find attached screenshot for more detail. I hace user task activity for which i have set up escalation and then after that on Reject outcome of other User task activity I am setting "Expiry Date" value. The sequence of activities  are like, First escalation rule and then set date variable.

Thanks,

Prafull

Hi Tin,

Sorry, I didnt read your reply properly.

"As such if you are setting this data field in a data transfer event within the same activity, then the escalation would have already been planned with the default date before it is set to 10/5/2017.  If this is the case, the setting of this data field should be in a separate activity before the activity with the client event."

Yes, I think same thing is happening as I am having escalation rule which use defalut value to plan the escalation and then i am setting the value in variable. So its not taking currently set value for escalation. I though it should take the value which is set in the variable. Dont this work like that?

Thanks for your help.

-Prafull

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hello Prafull,

1. I believe updating the data field after the escalation code had executed will not change when it should escalate; as such you are likely experiencing the following scenario:

a. data field is set to 12/31/2017
b. escalation code executes -> this scheduled this escalation item for 12/31/2017
c. data field event executes and update the data field to 10/5/2017
d. however, this just updates the data field (residing in the process instance); not the escalation item that was scheduled (this is currently as designed)
* I believe the dynamic aspect here is that it will schedule the escalation base on what value it sees in the data field DURING the time of the escalation code execute and schedules it, not updating the SCHEDULED escalation

2. As such the only way to have an escalation that happens on 10/5/2017, is possibly a 'GoToActivity' that expires the current escalation and state and sends it back to the activity where the escalation code and whole activity will execute again. If the 'GoToActivity' maintains the 10/5/2017 date, then a new escalation will be scheduled for this date instead.

3. Or perhaps the functionality you are searching for is similar to the post below:
http://community.k2.com/t5/Previous-Products/reset-escalations/td-p/16081

Thanks tin for reply.

May be 2nd option could have worked.

2. As such the only way to have an escalation that happens on 10/5/2017, is possibly a 'GoToActivity' that expires the current escalation and state and sends it back to the activity where the escalation code and whole activity will execute again. If the 'GoToActivity' maintains the 10/5/2017 date, then a new escalation will be scheduled for this date instead.

But,  I think 'GoToActivity ' is not there in K2 designer workflow.