Action outcomes and preceding rules

• 30 October 2007
  • 1 reply

Badge

In a workflow I'm currently designing in BlackPearl, the process splits up in two parallel branches. Each branch has a approve/decline activity in which a manager has to approve/decline on two seperate issues. The workflow may only continue with the next activity when both approve/decline activities have "approve" as outcome (not just one of the two). Therefore, each activity has a Client Event with two actions, approve and decline, with their corresponding outcomes and lines generated. The two "approve"-lines are connected to the next (and last) activity.

From the k2.net 2003 training, I learned to use a preceding rule in the last activity to check that both previous activities resulted in "approve" before the activity can start. Now, when I try to make the preceding rule on the last activity, I cannot access the "Action Result"-fields of the previous two activities in the K2 Object Browser. How can I set up a preceding rule which checks the action-outcomes of the previous activity?

Regards,

Mark

1 reply

Badge +9
Unfortunately the previous Activity's actions/outcomes are out of scope by the time the preceding rule is hit.  Preceding rules typically leverage process level data.  I'd recommend having the previous activities populate some process data fields (either in the corresponding UIs or in their own activities/events) and then having the preceding rule use these process values as the basis to determine if it should start.