Issues with Set Field Value

• 27 February 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hello!

I've been having issues with the action "Set Field Value" where I am trying to change a boolean value to "Yes" in a workflow. I've double checked my data types and have tried using String/Number fields as well. I have also tried using "Update Field Value" as well as added a "Commit Pending Changes" action before the "Set Field Value".

The error I am getting is "The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information."

The weird thing is that restarting the workflow manually works - workflow won't error/boolean value will change as intended. I am not sure why it fails when run by the system.

Any pointers would be much appreciated, thank you!

TC

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,
I would like to try replicate this issue so that I can help you find a resolution. What platform are you suing? SharePoint 2010,2013,2016,2019?
What build of Nintex Workflow?
When you say the workflow is run by the system is it a scheduled workflow?
Badge +1

Hi!

I am using Sharepoint 2013 online, I believe. I inherited these sites from a previous co-worker so still trying to learn the ropes. Not sure what build of nintex workflow but I will take a couple screenshots for you.

On my list, I have a column called hasArchived which is of boolean type (yes/no checkbox), default is "No" for when a new list item is created. After an item is created, I copy it to another list and want to change hasArchived to "Yes".

6610i5EB7EE65D23B9AA5.png

Here is the error I'm getting:

6611iB2B3095911628E8A.png

6612i8762A309A6DFCD13.png6613i48F01000EB39E9B7.png

Thank you so much for your time!

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Based on the screen shots you are using SharePoint 2016 on-premise and not Sharepoint 2013 online.

Try remove the commit pending changes action and see if that resolves the issue.
Try delete the set field value action and then re-add it.
Badge +1

Good morning!

I did both and published my changes after each but the same error still comes up where all the action icons are "green" but an "error" still occurred and the hasArchived field is "No" (unchanged). 

I ran the workflow manually from the list and it worked perfectly fine. Do you think the issue is stemmed from this workflow being kicked off at the end of another workflow?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Try adding a pasue as the first action of the workflow and see how that goes.
Badge +1

Funnily enough, adding a Pause causes even the manual starting of the workflow from the list item to error out. This is not the only list where "Set Field Value" and "Update Field Value" haven't been working for me. If I try to delete the workflow or create a new workflow then the same thing would happen. 

Badge +1

Would you elaborate on what I should do for that?

I tried clicking the webpage but it was blocked by my work server.