Error Sending BufferAn existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host Installation Error

• 8 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi Gurus,

Our production servers basically crashed and could not be recovered so they were rebuilt with same server names and IP Address.

Now I have to re-install K2 BlackPearl 4.7 and Smartforms onto it as it was now a new empty machine. I’m connection to the existing K2 database which was also recovered from backups.

The Blackpearl installation completes with an error on Installation Health.

While smartforms completes the installation with no errors.

The Blackpearl Error:

Error from controlutil output: RegisterControlTypes Failed: Error Sending BufferAn existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

I have tried several suggestion and they just not working on my environment.

• I have removed and re-installed not once, not twice but several times with no luck.
  • I have checked Smartobjects permissions on workspace and they are fine
  • I have tried to check permission of the smartbox and it throws an error (The given key was not present in the dictionary) – Is the a way I can check directly in the K2 DB these permissions. I know it’s not allowed but I need to rule out that it’s not the issue. Which table can I check?
  • Some article suggested installing the latest .Net and I did (.Net 4.8)
  • Some article suggested updating the regedit of .Net and I did
  • I have confirmed permissions of the service account on the hidden K2 folder sitting under Program Data folder in the C drive

When trying to install K2 4.7 March 2018 Cumulative Update (Because that's the update that was installed before the crash), I get the same error on K2 Blackpearl server (Error Sending BufferAn existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host)

I honestly have not come accross such an error before when installing K2 and it has frustrated me enough, please assist me as I have axausted the options I know of.

13080i291518A5EF172E0A.png
14545i61F2597310B1E4B0.png

6 replies

Hi Ziphoh,

Aside from this error are there other erros shown during the installation. You can check it in the installerTrace log that was generated during the installation. It can be found in [Install Drive]K2SetupLog.

Just curious , are you able to start the K2 Services and access the K2 sites after this error ?

Should you feel that this post is of use and or an accurate solution to the raised question, I kindly encourage you to mark it as such
using the 'Mark as Solution', 'Kudo' andor ‘Me Too’ options.

Cheers,
Kate

K2 will not accept any liability for any issues arising from actions taken in respect of the information provided by any forum member.

Hi Kate,

I had checked the log and there's no other error.
I'm not able to open K2 sites as it throws the exact same error on the browser as well but the K2 service is started.

Zipho

Hi  @Zipho 

You have a Custom control installed in your previous Environment. 

This Custom control is still referenced in the DB. You will need to Install all the custom artifacts that you had. and Run an analysis again. 

The K2 Service is started. You can probably access to the Workspace. 

HIH,

JJ

Badge +7

Good Morning  @Ziphoh,

1) Browse to: C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpearlSetup

-Delete all the files that end on .kspx

2) Browse to: C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpearlBinControlPack Controls

-Delete all the files except “Telerik.Web.UI.dll”

3) Run the following SQL Query on the K2 DB:

DELETE FROM [Hostserver].[HostserverSetting]

WHERE [Name] LIKE '%.kspx%'

OR [Name] LIKE 'Register_Control_%'

GO

4) Run a Repair on K2 Blackpearl.

After doing these steps the packages and controls will successfully install with no errors.

-To configure SSRS you may run into the below error:

System.ArgumentException: String cannot be of zero length.

Parameter name: oldValue

This may be resolved by giving the Content Manager permissions to the service account used for K2 on the Reporting Services Server and it shall work.

-You can also try this technique for your main error

1. On your SQL server, drop/remove the function 'Utility.EncryptionInSql' under K2 database > Programmability > Functions > Scalar-valued Functions.

** I would advise creating a backup of your 4.7 K2 database prior to dropping the function.

1. Proceed to perform a 'Repair' using the K2 Blackpearl setup manager.

I hope these help you solve your issue  @Ziphoh .

I have tried all the above and still no luck.
This seems to be very unique :(

The only custom control in the environment is the literal control and it is installed.

Hi  @Ziphoh , 

You may have to contact the K2 Support to analyse this more deeper. 

Seems like you are having this issue:

https://help.k2.com/support-services/kbt151551

Regards, 

JJ