Frequently Asked Questions

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Is the New Responsive Designer, Universal Forms?
Yes, the New Responsive designer is using our Universal Forms engine. This engine is used across NIntex Workflow Cloud, Nintex Workflow and Forms for Office365, Nintex Mobile and in the future Nintex for SharePoint. 

Can I use the New Responsive Designer? Where is it available?
The New Responsive Designer is now available in all Nintex regions (US, EU, JP, AU) for Nintex Forms for Office365. The New Responsive Designer will come to SharePoint 2016 and 219 at a later date.

Will the New Responsive Forms Designer replace the existing Responsive Forms?

Our long term plan is to replace the Responsive designer with the New Responsive designer.

What will happen to my existing Responsive Forms?

All existing responsive forms will continue to use the existing Responsive Forms technology. At a later date, Nintex will offer the ability to convert your existing Responsive Form the New Responsive Forms Designer.

Will a rollback be supported if my conversion does not work?

Yes. Nintex will offer a rollback capability from New Responsive back to Responsive for a period of time. This will allow you to test New Responsive Forms with minimal impact to your business processes. In the future, the existing Responsive designer will be retired for New Responsive Forms.

What will happen to Classic Forms?

Classic forms will remain as an option when designing a new form. We have no plans to remove the Classic designer.

Will the conversion capability support conversion from Classic to the New Responsive Forms Designer?

The conversion will not support converting from Classic designer to the New Responsive Forms Designer. Conversion can only be done between Responsive and the New Responsive Forms Designer.

Can I use JavaScript in the New Responsive Forms Designer?

Our intent is to provide the controls and capabilities within the product without the need for JavaScript. Therefore at this present time, the New Responsive Forms Designer will not support JavaScript. JavaScript functionality will remain available in Classic forms designer.

Can I use CSS in the New Responsive Forms Designer?

The New Responsive Forms Designer Forms can be styled within the Style builder only and will not support custom CSS.

Are there any new features available in the New Responsive Forms Designer?

As we rebuild each control, we are looking to improve the experience. This has allowed us to add new controls:

• Geolocation control with Google maps API support
  • Signature control now supported in a web browser
  • Improved Formula builder
  • Improved Group control
  • Advanced rule builder
  • Web Request control

Are there any controls or features that responsive forms will not support? 
Yes, there are several controls that will not be supported in the responsive forms functionality, these include:

• List View (Planned for a later release)
  • List item (Planned for a later release)
  • Print to PDF (We now offer Print friendly mode which uses your browser)
  • External data column
  • Workflow diagram
  • Publish as a Live form
  • Border
  • Custom JavaScript
  • Custom CSS
  • Controls in use panel
  • Copy/paste control

Are all the existing Responsive Forms features available in the New Responsive Designer?

While we have released the New Responsive Designer for Office365, we are still bringing more functionality from the existing Responsive Designer and also working on newer functionality as well. Please see the Current Limitations page to learn more.

Since the repeating section is in the new Responsive designer for Office365, and its the same engine in Nintex Workflow Cloud, will the Repeating Section come to Nintex Workflow Cloud?

In Office365, the new Responsive designer will still store XML in the hidden column. This is not our preferred way to pass data in NWC, therefore we are looking to improve this experience in NWC. We are hoping to bring the repeating section to NWC at a later date.

28 replies

Badge
What about Repeating Sections and Attachment control within a Repeating Section?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @michaelbayrak,

Repeating section is nearing completion and will be able to put the File Upload and Signature control inside the repeating section.

Cheers,
Euan

Badge

Will the function IsMemberOfGroup be implemented in the new responsive forms as we use this to control who can edit certain parts of our forms.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @themayb,

Thank you for letting us know the IsMemberOfGroup is important to your business processes. It helps us prioritize our features.

This is currently planned to be built but I do not have a date as yet. We are currently working on bringing New Responsive to SharePoint and including some of the missing functions. When we commit new features to the shared codebase from the SharePoint work, it will appear in Office365 - so you won't have to wait until New Responsive for SharePoint to be complete.

Please do let us know what else you would like to see.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge

Hi! Can you please advise when the calculations at row level (in the repeating section) become available in the New Responsive Form Designer?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Denis_Emerson,

It's certainly a feature I want to see out sooner rather than later. It is scheduled but development has not begun so it is hard to estimate at this stage.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +2
Is the Universal forms for Nintex are renamed as New Responsive forms?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @suneelprakash7,

Yes, New Responsive is Universal Forms. I have updated the questions above to also cover this question.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +7

I did not know how important "Lookup"- and "IsMemberOf"-Functions are until now that they are missing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @rbachmann,

Thanks for letting us know. Lookup function is in active development and I am hoping to accelerate IsMemberOfGroup.

Cheers,
Euan

Badge +1

I am testing Nintex as a system, and have made a complex form in the responsive design.  I only now realized multiple buttons aren't supported in this mode.  Is there a way to move my form design and rules to the classic designer to finish my build without starting over?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @mikebroadway ,

You will need to rebuid your form if you want to build a classic form.

Can I ask why you require the button control? We are currently in the design phase of the button control and looking to understand the use cases. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +1

Of course @EuanGamble,

One, I'd like the ability to set a form to certain statuses to prevent a workflow from running. (Essentially a saved form which a condition in the workflow would check and then route to immediately end the workflow without performing any other actions).

Two, from a UI/UX perspective buttons tend to be cleaner and naturally intuitive.  I can use a button for populating various fields using specific look-up and conditional settings, especially if I have the ability to run code behind the button.  (While I understand you are eliminating Javascript from responsive build, my initial reaction is confusion and believing that to be a mistake.  Why eliminate more access and control for your users?  When I look up how to do things in Nintex when designing a form, a majority of the time, I find scripts that will be worthless in the new designer...Just a thought as a person who hasn't purchased Nintex yet and is running a trial.)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @mikebroadway,

So a button that can set a field value would be a useful feature for you?

Regarding the removal of JavaScript, it's really about offering a platform that is completely supported by Nintex and gives a consistent experience to your users.

JavaScript is not supported by Nintex due to the limitless potential scenarios which make it difficult for Nintex to test and ensure quality. Our preference is to build the solutions you require and will be supported by Nintex without the reliance on custom JavaScript. So, if there is functionality you would like to see, please do let me know or submit your idea to User Voice.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +7

I am in my first project using the new responsive designer and I really like it! Very intuitive, fast and equipped with a powerful rules engine.

Nevertheless, I am struggeling with some limitations (apart from the missing lookup- and ismemberofgroup-functions) I have not found out how to bypass:

1. How can I concatenate some text with a value from the form?
e.g. Leave Request - Current User Display Name

2. How can I set the default value of a multi-choice field? (default value of the column set in List Settings will be ignored from Nintex Forms and "value" is not an available option when building a rule)

Badge +1

Hi @EuanGamble,

I think the key word in what you are saying is "limitless".  I understand you want to have Nintex completely support the platform.  The problem with that is you have to implement and define each portion of that platform.  When you take out the true "limitless" functionality of a user based or user programmable system like Javascript, you by defnition have to have limits.  My suggestion would be to implement a user repository of javascript scripts or functions.  Have users upload scripts that other users can ask questions about and tweak when they download.  Then, Nintex monitors those scripts download and visits to pages to determine what functionality to make into hard corded Nintex features.  A consistent experience can be had by all, we don't rely on waiting for Nintex to update the system (a process that has to be slower than personal implementations, to be safer), and Nintex isn't responsible for the Javascript that users use, nor are required to support it.

A button that sets a field value is a work-around for not having a way to "save" a form without submitting it. 

I find value in any feature I don't have being implemented.  There's always a use case for basically any feature.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

The answer to Q1 is to create a variable with the string value concatenating with the Context of Current user display name like this:

5602i1D99B48FC22F719A.png

For Q2 you'll need to submit that as a feature request in User Voice.

I'd be happy to up-vote this when you post it.

Badge

Are universal forms available for Sharepoint 2016 yet?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Joe_R,

New Responsive for SharePoint is still in development.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +1

hello. where can I find the documentation of step by step process on how to use signature in a repeating section? thank you very much!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @jmdeleon,

We currently do not support 'File Upload' or 'Signature' control in the repeating section. It is in our backlog to be completed, however.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge

Hi @EuanGamble, when are you planning to support Nintex Forms new Responsive designer for SharePoint on-premises? Are there any time horizons?

Thank you.

Martin

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @MartinKurko,

Great question! Nintex is committed to supporting our SharePoint On-Premises customers, and we are also cognizant that the Microsoft technology focus is evolving. The mission of Nintex is to ensure that you have a clear and compelling path forward that not only maintains the solutions you have today, but also “future-proofs” your business to be able to evolve as needed. As such, instead of trying to maintain several discreet Nintex Forms products, we are laser-focused on building a single, independent, fully-featured responsive Forms product based in our Nintex Cloud Platform that will serve all our customers, including on-premises. Integration efforts include gateways to communicate ground to cloud, hybrid models, embeddable web parts for on-premises, and continued focus on highly secured and governed Forms solutions. We will also enable an easy path to convert your existing forms to the newest Forms solution when you are ready to do so, regardless of the Nintex Workflow platform you are on.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge

Hi @EuanGamble

Thank you for your reply.

I now understand the direction of Nintex Forms and your current development efforts, but my question still remains: When will we be able to use Nintex Forms new Responsive designer for SharePoint on-premises in the same way as for Office 365?

Thank you.

Martin

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @MartinKurko,

We do not have a date for this functionality but I can say that it is not expected this year.

Cheers,

Euan