End of Support K2 4.6.11... but 25 K2 Five (5.1) Fix Packs in 5 months... wow....

• 3 October 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +10

Unfortunatelly the end of support for K2 4.6.11 is about to arrive this xmas... Seems like K2 4.7 is a must, even to pave the road for K2 Five.

However K2 5.0 Thunder only last for about 6 months, when K2 5.1 appear in the arena with a large number of patches... just now is listed 25 K2 Five (5.1) Fix Packs in 5 months... wow....

Makes me wonder if the product was really production ready ? why so many issues ? why forgot the client on the solution upgrade forcing to a very restricitive and limited number of options for upgrade.

Yes you can save a lot of time on quick prototyping, but will spend a lot more on figure it out testing, reporting and fixing bugs, performing upgrades and rework things that just going to need to be reworked.

Is the journey worth it ?. perhaps just keep it simple. upgrade to K2 4.7 and try to stay there for as long as possible.

I know we have to do it. but I know looking the horizon a large storm a head.

Best Regards Dino.

11542i6A4143A38F12E588.jpg

3 replies

Badge +8

Agreed. The upgrade paths are not easy and it seems like as soon as you upgrade another version comes out. I almost feel like we test in production for K2. We pay a large amount of money every year to test K2 in our production environments. This is frustrating. 

Badge +9

Interesting how you guys disconnect each version to its own when each version release (4.7, 5.0, 5.1) is basically just an update to the base product like iOS 11.0 to 11.1 etc or Android 6 to 7. Base functionalities are still there, it still runs your workflows and smartforms, features can get deprecated and new features can get added, you get some new controls and maybe some services gets removed. It's all part of an application's life cycle. No application is ever free of flaws and that applies to every single one out there, patches are commonplace and I don't see why that is a concern. I would be more concerned if an application never ever receives a single patch.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

If I may put words in the OP's mouth, I think we as K2 customers disconnect each version because the update does tend to cause development effort to get the forms and workflows back inline with the new version. Particularly the leap to 4.7 was problematic because it actually prevented bad rules on your forms and forced you to go back and fix them. I view this as a good thing, but it did cause a lot of extra work. I've recently upgraded a few different implementations from 4.7 to 5.1 and did not experience the issues that we had going to 4.7, it was a much simpler process overall and I've been pleased with the result.