Action a work list Item Issue

Badge +10

Hi all,

I have a problem where whatever action I choose the workflow goes to the same activity. Heres the scenerio:

I have an activity called 'Activity 1' with two outcomes available which are 'Approve' and 'Send back to IT'. The forms are smatforms and the workflow is created in visual studio. I am using the 'Default Client Event' instead of the 'Smartforms Client Event', so that the form and workflow are seperate if we decide to use ASP for the forms. I am using the 'Open worklist Item' rule in smartobject to open the worklist item. It gets the actions and populates the action panel fine. I am using the 'Action a worklist item' rule to action the worklist item when the form is submitted. The problem is whatever action i select it goes through as 'Approve'. When I select 'Send back to IT' it does not go to teh reject activity. I have checked that the right value is passed through in the 'Action worklist item' rule. Ive even tried harcoding the 'Send back to IT' action in the rule. I have also checked that the lines coming out of Activity 1 have the correct line rule. has anyone else had this problem. Thanks in advance.

8 replies

Badge +6

Hi,

Which versions of K2 BlackPearl and SmartForms are you currently using? I understand what you are trying to achieve, as I have done similar workflows myself - and this should not occur. It could be that there a bugs within the versions you are using.

Regards,

Badge +10

Thanks for your reply. Im using Blackpearl 4.6.6 and Smartforms 1.0.5. I think the problem is that the 'Action Result' and 'Outcome' have lost mapping. If in the line rule you specify that the value of 'Action Result' is evaluated instead of the 'Outcome', then it works. Ive deleted the 'Default Client Event' reconfigured the rules in the form but the probelm still persists when using the 'Outcome' instead of the 'Action Result' 

Badge +10

While were at it. What is the difference between At Most and At Least when using k2 slots

Badge +8

Re Action vs Outcome: It sounds like your destination slots are misconfigured.  Outcome is typically set based on a particular action, but one can modify the rules controlling how it is set.  Right-click on your activity (not event).  Go to the Outcomes tab (bottom button on the left), click your outcome, then click Edit to see the rules.

Re at most vs at least: They are exactly as they sound.  At Most allows you to specifiy a maximum number of actions results before an outcome is set; At Least allows you to specify a minimum number of results before an outcome.  You typically see At Most with rejections, e.g. "I need 2 of 5 approvals, but no more than 2 rejections."  This would allow you to set an outcome as soon as soon as you receive two rejections, whereas without it, the process would wait for the other responses before setting the outcome.

Badge +10

Thanks for your reply.

Re Action vs Outcome: I have an actiivty that has a list of destination user fqdns that gets populated from a smartobject method and is set to a create a slot for each destiantion user. The outcomes are 'Submit' or 'Send Back to IT'. Firstly I configured the line rules coming out of that activity as follows:

1. Send back to IT line (Action Result = "At most one slot = Send back to IT")
  2. Submit ( Action Result = "At most one slot = "Submit")

That did not work. Whenever one person actioned with "Send back to IT" it would go tot he "Submit" rule. I cannot see why this would not work. I then configured the line rules as follows using the action result and 'at least' instead of the outcome.

1. Send back to IT line (Action Result = "At least one slot = Send back to IT")
  2. Submit ( Action Result = "At least one slot = "Submit")

Now this worked.

This made me question what the difference is between the 'At Most' and 'At Least'. Also, I cannot see what is the difference between the two types. When you said  e.g. "I need 2 of 5 approvals, but no more than 2 rejections."  This would allow you to set an outcome as soon as soon as you receive two rejections, whereas without it, the process would wait for the other responses before setting the outcome.

If I need 2 approvals out of 5 but no more than 2 rejections. I can still use either one 'At Most' or 'At Least'. So If I set 'At Most' 2 approve in the line rule it will execute the line rule as soon as two people approve. If I select 'At Least' 2 approve the line will execute as soon as two people approve. If I set 'At Most' 2 people reject then as soon as two people reject then the reject line rule will be executed. If I set 'At Least' 2 people reject then as soon as two people reject the reject line rule will be executed. I do not see a difference.

Thanks

Badge +4

Hi  @s0m3one,

I am currently looking if there is any documentation regarding you question about “at most and at least" explaining it and how it works,

I am also testing this to get an explanation to why it was not working previously.

Regards

Quintin

Badge +8

@s0m3one: Your examples are logically exclusive, so in your examples it seems that At Most and At Leastperform the same function.  But consider the following scenarios:

1) I need 2 approvals from a group of 5 but no more than 2 rejections.  My outcome rule would be "At least 2 approvals AND at most 2 rejections."

2) I need 3 approvals from a group of 5.  If the outcome rule simply says "At least 3 approvals" and two people reject it, the Outcome isn't set until the rest of the people respond.  So the workflow sits longer than it needs to.

Granted: there are a lot of scenarios where the At Most and At Least seem to do the same thing.  But there are some more complex instances where they definitely do not do the same thing.

Badge +10

Thanks QUintin209 for looking into this issue.

@sbrownhuntoilco: you must've felt like you're trying to get blood out of a stone but I think I finally get it. I think this only makes sense in scenerios one line coming out of the activity, therefore only one outcome. I have two line coming out of my activity and threfore two outcomes and each outcome is a one to one mapping to the action result. This is why I could not see the difference. Although saying that I cant really think of a scenreio where both action results would go to the the same activity.

Thanks for your replies.