Custom SmartBox Service for Database tables.

Hello All,

I like to create something similar to what the SmartBox does.

I have SmartObjects created from SQL Server Database tables. Every time I want to add more columns to the table, I have to add the column on the Database table and refresh my SQL Server Service Instanc to get the new Column and also update my SMO.

The Question now is:

Is there a way to create something similar to what K2 SmartBox Service does. Such that, everytime I want to add new column for my Database Table, I don't have to go to the Database, but just open up the SmamrtObject from K2 Designer and Add the new columns?

Thanks All.

3 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Kolade,

Yes it's posible to edit and add new column to your SmartObject you created from sql.

Go to design---->Navigate to the SmartObject ---> Right click and choose edit ---> when the editor open there's an "ADD" click and then add the colunm you want to add then close.

Please let me know if this helps.

Kind regards

Hi Themba,

Does the columns created on the SmartObject reflect on the Sql table from which it was created from?

I added columns to a SmartObject I created from an SQL table in K2 designer, but the columns did not reflect on the database.

Regards,

Badge +15

Hi kolade,

The answer to your question is no. For SQL Server Service Instance, if you want to add a new column, you will have to add the column in your SQL table first, then refresh the service instance, then update your SmartObject. This is the correct step.

Only SmartBox SmartObject will automatically create a new column in your SQL table when you update the SmartObject. Unfortunately right now, K2 will only use the default SmartBox service instance that has been configured when you install K2. If you try to create another SmartBox service instance and specify another database, you will encounter some error that stops you from being able to successfully create a new SmartBox service instance.