Deploy Process - Error ...Communication with the underlying transaction manager has failed.

• 26 April 2009
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I've developed a simple process for a SharePoint list as described in the K2 book. When I click deploy from the K2 web designer from within SharePoint I get the following error:

____

Error: FAILED - c:program files (x86)k2 blackpearlProcesseschrisobjDebugDeploymentchris.msbuild(59,5) : error : SmartObjectServer Exception: Could not publish SmartObjectDefinition to server: Error refreshing ServiceInstance 'WorkflowReportingService'. Service returned : 'Workflow Reporting SO Service: Communication with the underlying transaction manager has failed.
'
. SmartObject: 'New Approval Process Instances'

______

If I create a simple process in K2 Designer for Visual Studio and deploy, I get the same error. If I unselect the reporting SmartObjects then this error goes away and the process deploys.

I've checked that DTC is enabled on my K2Server (Win2K3 R2 x64) and my SharePoint server (Win2K3 R2 x64 SQL2008 MOSS 2007 SP1). The K2 doco only describes one way to setup DTC which is to have the MSDTC Security settings as: Network DTC Access, Allow inbound, Allow outbound and Incomg called authentication required, all ticked. So I have done this on the K2 and SQL servers.

Any ideas where I may have gone wrong?

3 replies

Badge +9

If the settings are correct, normally there are two causes:

1. The machines might be cloned causing the MSDTC guids to be duplicated.  You are remove and re-install the MSDTC components to fix this.
  2. Communication errors between the 2 machines.  e.g. firewall blocking RPC random ports.  You can use the DTCPing and DTCTester tools from microsoft to test this out.
Badge +1

Johnny,

That was very insightful mate, indeed I'd cloned both servers from a base image and as soon as I reinstalled MSDTC on both boxes everything now appears to be fine.

Thank you very much for your support.

Regards,

Chris.

Badge +9
Glad to hear that you got your issue sorted out.  Cheers.