Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

• 26 February 2008
  • 39 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

I have narrowed this issue down to the level of identifying that it's an InfoPath Publishing Error. Basically, I can raise it from the VS.NET when trying to deploy the K2 Process. I gave the user who encounters this problem an administrative permission on the site collection and still the same. I'm also wondering that it works fine on the Testing Server but in the live server it doesn't "I know the fact that everything works on testing environment where the live one is totally the opposite!".

However, I tested the Runtime Services authentication for that user and it's fine, the user can successfully access the web services. I've also reinstalled K2 Designer in that machine and nothing has been changed. From a different machine, I wasn't able to deploy the process "InfoPath Form" for that user. My username works fine in all levels and that certain user can't even detect if the given name of the MOSS library is correct or not.

Here is the usual error message:

Server was unable to process request. ---> Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I'm still working on this issue and can't figure our what is missing... If someone has any tips or certain conditions to solve this issue, please let me know.

Thanks!

Regards,

Saleh 

39 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I did The addition of the user to farm administrator group but it doesnt help me !!!

Badge +8

I am facing the same problem but I don't know what to do.

In the InfoPath integration Wizard I checked the path to the Workflow webservices and tested the connection "Http Status 403: forbidden". The URL is the same as for K2 Workspace, right?
I don't know why this is forbidden. I can access to the workspace outside the wizard with the same user.

Badge +10
Those on this thread that opened a ticket, did you get any response or resolution?
Badge +3

I did - in my case, the "resolution" was that it was logged as an official bug and would be addressed in a future release.

I think at this point the thread represents a variety of different symptoms and work-arounds that maybe point to multiple or a single root cause.

It seems to me that if something goes wrong in the depoyment process this is one of the ambigous errors that can pop up.

For those who are currently having the problem - have you tried EVERY work-around in this whole thread? Maybe one of them will work for you. If none of them do? are there any other specifics about your set-up / configuration / code / process that might help in troubleshooting?

Badge +10
It looks like for now the workaround is to open the SmartObject Associations dialog and click the Synchronize button
Badge +8

but the error also occurs in a very simple process with no smartObject Integration

Badge +3

@edgelore: Yes - tried each of the suggested workarounds, and no luck - the only person that can amend and/or deploy InfoPath integrated processes is the person that created them in the first place - and she'd starting work on another project which will mean we have no resource to make any changes we need....

@ chrisg : No - no response or resolution that works has been presented to us at all.

Badge +3

I have only found the crude "synchronize" trick to work in a handful of cases - it does not work for all situations.

Now, I'm in a new scenario where I'm getting an error dialog pop up that says "object reference not set ot an instance of an object" whenever I try to make changes to my InfoPath Integration (like clicking Add to add a new form). Also seeing other errors like "Could not find part of the path C:...ExtenderProjectsContext-bf560627785e..." This is without even trying to deploy - just working in the designer. It's like my process is corrupt now. I can't even actually load the solution any more, although it will let me go in by opening the project directly. But when I try to make changes to clean it up, it get those errors.

I thought I had figured out how to navigate the minefield, but now it looks like I'll have to rebuild from scratch.

Badge +9

Just wondering if anyone has found a resolution to this?

I am now having the same problem, which appears to have popped up completely at random, but I am now unable to deploy my process at all.

I have tried deploying using an msbuild file, and no success (nor any more informative messages) when I try this.

The last post in this thread was a couple of months ago now, so I thought that someone (hopefull K2) may have managed to get this fixed???

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Badge +9

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I copied the form to a new location, and was going to try publishing it to the form library to see if this had any affect (I was reaching the desperate stage).

When I tried to publish the form, it said that there was an error in my form - I had a look at the errors, and discovered that there was a text box that wasn't bound (left over from me cleaning a debug style node out of the data source). I deleted the text box, and I am now able to deploy the process!!!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is going to keep working, but thinking back, it seems that it did start failing about the time that I would have removed the node (although I can't say for sure)

Anyone who is experiencing this problem, it may be worth looking at the design checker, and making sure that you don't have any errors in your form.

I suspect that it will be like most of the "solutions" mentioned in this extensive post - it will work for some and not for others, but I thought it was worth mentioning, as I have been beating my head against this for several hours now!

Badge +5

Something I have found to be useful in troubleshooting the dreaded "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" message:

Crank up the logging output of MSBuild to the most verbose setting, and see if the error gets more specific.

To do this:
-- In Visual Studio, click Tools | Options
-- Scroll down to the Projects and Solutions section in the left pane
-- Select Build and Run in the left pane
-- Under "MSBuild project build output verbosity", set it to "Diagnostic"
This should set the highest amount of output. Run the deployment again, and capture the error message(s).

Badge +1
icon-quote.gifarduk:

Anyone who is experiencing this problem, it may be worth looking at the design checker, and making sure that you don't have any errors in your form.

I had exactly that too!

Badge +1

Today, I've the same error and tried a lot of your suggestions. I post just to summarize your ways and add a new "workaround" that works in my case. I fear having the same issue tomorrow as some of you already have experienced ;)

Problem

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

More Infos perhaps available via

- set output verbose mode to diagnostic
- IIS Logs C:WindowsSystem32LogFiles<site ID>
- MOSS Logs
- Event Log

Possible Workarounds

- Add the deployment user to "Site Collection administrators", "Farm administrators", iisreset
- Design Checker in InfoPath, any orphaned controls? is Infopath web enabled?
- Delete code-behind or try http://www.k2distillery.com/2008/01/deploying-k2-infopath-web-enabled-forms.html
- SmartObject Associaton | Synchronize SmartObject
- changed the setting to deploy the InfoPath to be viewed in InfoPath. change back the form to be viewed in Web Browser and deploy again
- Delete ~objDebug content, enforce rebuild
- use the built-in feature of the InfoPath Integration Wizard to create a new Form Library as the Deployment Location on the fly

- my solution: Delete form library and create a new form lib ;)

Badge

Hi everyone,

We are able to resolve the issue by opening the infopath integration wizard ,mentioning the location of infopath  again and refresh the infopath integration location.