Questions about New Installation

• 17 April 2012
  • 2 replies

Badge +8

We are starting a project to migrate our existing K2 .NET 2003 workflows to K2 BlackPearl 4.6.  I'm in the process of installing BlackPearl in our environment, and have encountered a few questions I would like some input on.

Our planned installation is going to have SQL Server 2008 R2 on a box, the K2 Workflow Engine and Workspace Portal on another box, and some custom developed applications on a third box interacting with workflows via the API.

Here are my questions:

1. Environments and Databases: we will have two environments: DEV and Production.  When installing K2, should I point everything at the production SQL Server and use K2 Environments to delineate the two environments?  Or should I point the dev workflow engine to a dev db instance and the production workflow engine to a production db server instance?  I think I should do the former, but I'm not sure advantages of either.

2. Is Kerberos required in the environment described above?  I thought we would implement everything using Windows Authentication and Impersonation, but I've read a few things in the docs that make me wonder if this is the right way to do it.

3. Can the Workspace web application be installed alongside other applications in IIS?  I have some other web sites on the box where I'm setting everything up and when I installed the workspace, it would only let me install it as a new web application.  This means its listening on port 81 instead of port 80.  This is annoying for clients and admins, so I'm wondering what options I have.

Thanks in advance!

2 replies

Badge +10

1.  I agree with doing the former. Having dev and prod on the same SQL box should not be a big deal. Just be careful about appropriately naming your databases.

2.  Kerberos should be required in this situation.  However you can test out our Passthrough authentication. see the following for more information on pass through. http://help.k2.com/en/kb001226.aspx

3. Yes, but as you said you will have to use host headers, different ports, or differnt IP addresses.

HTH

Badge +13

I would suggest that you put your Dev SQL Server on a separate box/VM of your Dev K2 if you don't have another environment for QA/PreProduction.

This will separate the security rights for dev/prod on SQL Server box and you can be sure that testing K2 upgrades in Dev will not cause a problem in Prod.

Tweaking Keberos, patches to Windows or SQL Server can be done in Dev first without affecting the production SQL Server.