Best Control and method to use for looking up Users in an AD group?

• 4 December 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi all,

What's the best way of doing this?

Say I have an AD Group with 20K+ members (Display Name is Surname, Firstname)

I want to include a user friendly way on the Form, where the Form user can find a member from the AD Group by starting to type in the users name, in the format Surname, Firstname (like the Displayname property).

What is the best way to do this, i want results to appear as the user enters each character of the name, then narrow down results as each further letter is typed.

I've experimented with k2 picker before but i don't think it worked

UPDATE.

I've tried the Autocomplete Control linked to the AD User - getusersbygroup method but it still takes about 20  seconds to load the form, but then autocomplete does work filtering the names as you type more letters. Only problem is, users won't accepet (hell i wouldn't either) waiting 20 seconds for a form to load.

I then tried ticking the Live Search and delay of 2 and trigger 2, but this just results in the infamous "spinning circle of eternity"

Any ideas K2ers?

2 replies

Badge +7

That is one problem with the autocomplete control but unless you are running the november CU and FP3 the control wont bring data back to the form or validate that the data is correct when entering. I had tickets open on this and the fixes are in those releases.

With that said if you have a large group set you cannot do much about the load time but unless this is the very first or only field you could move the populate rule to the Initialized rule. This runs after the form initalizes so the user can use the form. You could also populate it later on a change rule. It does not fix the problem but it makes it less aparent. The other ideas would be is it absolutely necessary to pick from all 20K or could it be filtered somehow?

This might not help but may give you some ideas.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hey Micki,

Thanks for your reply.

I got K2 support in on this, but we weren't able to improve the time.

I'm on the Feb CU.

The AD Group only has 2000 users, which is small really, but no matter how much of a delay or trigger setting we used, there was still a 4 second delay in it displaying any results.

We disabled the initialize rule to speed up the form load time (was 10 seconds), but then doing a Live Search, it's taking 4 seconds to return a result, which just isn''t acceptable. The user would think nothing is happening and type another letter, in which case the search would start again.

I'm always about giving the user the best UI experince, and the Autocomplete control would have been just that, but in reality it's too slow to be practically useful.

No way round it I was told, so back to the horrible Picker control.

When you're up against smart .Net forms with instant and seemless autocomplete, K2 is left in the dust.

Either way, the speed up has been added as a Feature request, so lets wait and see.

P.S. I don't suppose there is a way of embedding .net User Lookups within a K2 Form is there? If so, i could use .Net for the Autocomplete User lookup part????