Solved

Approve requests with buttons in emails?

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

In my quest to give the best user experience, a thought occured to me regarding Approvals...

At the moment, I use offline approval for forms which require authorisation.

The Authorisers get an email, which they reply with the word approve or decline for example.

While this works great and does the job, I was wondering if there was any way of replacing that Approve / Decline with Buttons inside the email, is this even possible?

I know you can use an alternate way of approving requests via a Link to the workitem, then approve it, but that to me is more time consuming and a 2-step process.

In an ideal world, I'v want buttons in a email which the user clicks and that acts as a reply to the email and send the word "Approved" to pass back to K2 andcloses the email as well.....

I know you can have voting buttons in Outlook, but was wondering if that could be done within the body of the email.....

Can you use HTML/Javascript to create buttons within the email message?

Is this possible, or pie in the sky?

How cool would it be if the user simply clicks a button in an email, rather than have to type a reply or follow a link..... Make it happen K2

icon

Best answer by JohanL 12 June 2017, 23:13

View original

5 replies

Badge +4

Hi Dear,

I can share couple of pointers to address this issue:-

1. Create the HTML hyperlink contorls (may be with css you can show them 2 different buttons) and the map respective REST URLs with the links. On click of the link it should hit the desired REST endpoint and take the necessary action accordingly.

2. Take 2 HTML links (show them as buttons) and map 2 forms to these links respectively. On the form load basis the action taken and the Serial no take the necessary action on Rule and show a generous message as required.

Hope this may help.

Regards

Gaurav Mehta

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Gaurav,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any example of appoach No.1?

I don't really want to do No2.  because it would involve another form.#

Was hoping via email buttons which respond to the request.

Badge +10

Hi,

Check out the EmailTemplate Inline function in the market.

http://community.k2.com/t5/K2-blackpearl/Email-Template-Inline-Function/ba-p/933

It has templates to do exactly this, called SmartButtons.

It allows you to add buttons to your email which you can configure with specific querystring parameters to a form.

You can then build a K2 smartform that opens the task, takes the appropriate action and then automatically closes the form and browser window.

So no pies in the sky, this is possible right now, with the help of a bit of out-of-the-box thinking and a custom inline function (which have numerous other uses as well, I might add).

Check it out and enjoy!

JohanL

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Johan,

Thanks for the suggestion... Just one question on this, the marketplace link says that this function dates back to 2014, is this compatible with K2 v4.7 ??? If so, will installing it have any repurcussions when installing new K2 updates?

Regards,

Badge +10

Hi,

We are on 4.7 with May CU and Fixpack 2 and it is still working.

I'm hoping it will also work for you!

Regards,

JohanL