Web Designer to Visual Studio

• 29 July 2008
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Good afternoon,

I've read that it is possible to export a process from the Web Designer to Visual Studio, but I cannot figure out how to do it.  How is it done?

Secondly, is it possible to edit the above in Visual Studio, and then edit it again in the web designer?

Thanks!

Daniel

3 replies

Badge +3

Once you've saved your process in the K2 Web Designer, you will see it displayed on the home page of the K2 Web Designer (I think if you click on the K2 Web Designer title, it'll take you back to the home, warning you that you will lose your progress on your process design. Be sure to save!). You can then select the process and export it. You can only export processes that compile. Exporting the process will create a self-extracting .exe file, so save it local and extract it. Then you can open the project file (*.k2proj) in Visual Studio and edit the process. I would recommend renaming the process before deploying from Visual Studio, as you cannot edit the process in the web designer after you've modified it in Visual Studio. But the process will still remain listed in the K2 Web Designer, so it's easy to overwrite changes that were made in Visual Studio.

HTH!

Badge +3

Hello Daniel,

You were correct when rading that you can export a process from the web designer to Visual Studio.  The way you can go about doing this is, to first create the process you want to export in K2 web designer from the document library of your choice.  After you have created your process in K2 web designer you need to save this process by clicking on the save icon above the templates icon. 

After you have done this, go to the main page of the web designer, and you will see an export option on the menu bar.  The icon will look like a file with a zipper on it.  When you choos the process you want to export click on this icon and it will begin a build of your project.  Once the build is successful you choos the export button and the file will ask if you want to then run the .exe file or save the file.  Click on save and choose a location to save the file.  After you have done this you can double click the .exe file created in the location you have saved.  Once you double click on the .exe file the project will open the a new box asking where you want to deploy the files to.  Once you choose the location and select extract you will see a k2.proj and .kprx file with the associated name on it.

From here you can open up the project in visual studio and begin eidting or adding on to the workflow.  Unfortunately you cannot edit the project in visual studio and bring it back into k2 web designer.  For a matrix of what processes can work with other designers please refer to the Getting Started Guide in:

K2 Concepts -> Creating Processes in Collaboration -> Developing a Process across K2 Designer Environments

I hope this helps,

Jon

Badge +3
Aaaah, there it is, thanks guys!