Automatically release the work item when User closes K2 Smartform activity task form

• 2 September 2014
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

How we can automatically release the work item when User closes K2 Smartform activity task form.

Currently we had provided a Close button to release the Worklist item and close the browser page but sometimes the user doesn't click on the Close button and directly closes the browser window.

Thanks

Amit

9 replies

Badge +8

There isn't a good way to do this.  We have investigated several options from JavaScript unload actions to handling other events in the ASP.NET lifecycle.  All proved unreliable and were dismissed.

A possible alternative to consider is increasing the # of destination slots for a particular activity.  This would allow multiple people to have the same worklist item open at the same time.  However, this also opens the possibility for multiple people working the same workflow at the same time of the task is assigned to a group.  This may not be desirable in some cases.

Badge +3

Completly agree with you. The only other option I can see is to release these stuck items through K2 Workspace.

Badge +8
We give all of our users a button to release worklist items. It's taken some time and education, but most folks now understand what it is and hat it does.

The other thing we did was to give the process owners some administrative tools such as redirecting a worklist item or releasing another user's worklist item (using the SourceCode.Workflow.Mamagement namespace). This is a bit more tricky because of the permissions involved (hint: IIS app pool identities), but it's been great for us because it keeps users from having to call us every time they need something simple.
Badge +10

Just to add to this, ifyour guys didnt know. If you are using the sharepoint webpart by K2 for the worklist.

Only when using internet explorer there is an option for users to release a worklist item. 

Badge +3

Great. Can you send a link or a screenshot please? If this is a feasible option i can surely suggest the same to our business users.

Thanks

Amit

Badge +10

Sure, this only works in internet explorer it seems. Next to the worklist item there is an arrow that appears, when you click that you will see the options as show below.

16818i35A9B5CCCEB9CA9C.png

Badge +3

This is same as we get it in the K2 Workspace under users Worklist items.

Badge +8

Yeah, you don't get the ability to release another user's worklist item, nor does it do it automatically.

Badge +6

Sometimse we deal with this using escalations.  We know that for certain activities there is potential for an item to be opened and not released that still needs to be completed in a timely manner.  So, we will use an escalation to redirect or go to activity in order to free up the slot.

I wish there was a way to set a value in the event that it should auto release on close.