Changing a Nintex On Prem form that's already been published

Badge +3

I have Nintex for SharePoint 2013 On Premise. I need to change an existing Nintex form that's already being used in production. Somebody else made it. Is there a way that I can publish it and see what it looks like without breaking what's already being used? 

I don't just want to preview it. I want to also be able to test it and see what it looks like when published.

I remember a long time ago seeing there was an option to publish to development and another option to publish to production. Is that just in SharePoint Online?

If there is a way to publish to development, does that have a different URL than production?

If there is no way to publish to development, is there a different way that I can make changes and test them without risk of breaking what's already published?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

once you publish the form it's available to everyone.

once you publish it and identify a bug/problems with it you can restore previous form version so that users can continue working on correct fom until you fix the design.

Badge +3

What's happening is that the users want to make the one column (label, entry control) form into a three column form. The current version they have works, so there's no need to restore a previous version. They just want to change the appearance for better ease of data entry and printing.

I've been thinking about exporting the form to another site, a test site, making the layout changes there, and then importing it back. Is that the best way to go? Is there a better way?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
The current version they have works, so there's no need to restore a previous version.

I meant it so that you have eg. currently running version v10.

you implement your changes and publish version v11. if you identify a problem/bug with it, you republish version v10 so that users can continue using working version and you would continue develioping on v11.

you could repeat that until your new version is correctly working.

I've been thinking about exporting the form to another site, a test site,

that's as well possible approach, but that usually require some further effort - object GUIDs in the background will be different on the other site so some control lose teir connections to sharepoint objects and you will have to manually correct them.

and the same when you will want to load changed layout back to  prod site